GTI-LE hesitation at WOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshNZ

Hello!

I'm working on a seadoo GTI LE around ~2000 from memory. Don't know a lot about it's history other than that it's just come back from a shoddy mechanic for a jet unit replacement. When the inlaws started it they found water lines in the hull were disconnected etc... Has never run right since coming back from him, and I don't think he's around any more. Engine is a 717 rotax.

I have ridden it a couple years ago and it went well so I know roughly how it should perform. The problem is it hesitates for a long time when opening throttle wide open. I think with a big guy on it you wouldn't call it a hesitation, it would just never wind out, but with me (150lb runt) it does get there eventually after 10-15 seconds. When it finally gets out of the water with me on it it suddenly winds out another 5-700 RPM, almost like the throttle has been opened half as much again. Then seems to be able to cruise at its max speed, 40-45mph (I think, I can't remember if it ever went faster).

So it idles pretty nicely, it's a little bit lazy going to mid throttle I'd say but really not too bad, but that 2/3 - full throttle is absolutely gutless. It doesn't seem to matter where the high speed adjustment is, its slightly better all the way out (3 turns) rich but is still very much a problem.

I've taken the carb off and cleared out everything, jets are perfect, passages are all hosing carb cleaner out the correct places when blasted in each orrifice. Accelerator pump squirts nicely. Engine responds sensibly to low speed needle. I'd be surprised by now if it was due to a blocked carb. I don't think it is a fuel delivery problem either as there is no missing/surging etc and it runs at WOT at a high speed cruise as long as you like (once you've built up the RPM...).

Compression is identical at 120psi on both, fuel filter and O ring are new. I guess the next thing to test is a leak in the crank case but I wanted to stop in here before I tackled that. If that is the recommendation is there any easy way to do it, or do I have to remove carb and exhaust manifold to seal them up?

Any other suggestions? Something obvious I'm missing? :bigear:

Thanks in advance
Josh

Got the repair manual? You can get it off the Internet for free. Off hand I would say it's your wear ring around the pumps impeller. Your cavitating, not pushing / flowing water strong enough. It's made of plastic. Any sand and rocks sucked up will wear it quickly. Engine rev's and it moves slowly?

Got the repair manual? You can get it off the Internet for free. Off hand I would say it's your wear ring around the pumps impeller. Your cavitating, not pushing / flowing water strong enough. It's made of plastic. Any sand and rocks sucked up will wear it quickly. Engine rev's and it moves slowly?

I have looked through the repair manual and the carb manual, nothing is grabbing my attention.

It's definitely not cavitating. As I said, with a big guy on it it would probably only make it to half it's normal RPM. It would never build enough power to get it on the plane and rev out.

I'm quite unfamiliar with how the exhausts work, is it possible for something to fail in the water jacket and cause constriction of exhaust gasses? I hadn't considered this til now but it does behave a bit like a dirt bike with a carboned up pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back