grinding wheels - hints?

RodInEscondido

I got the pictured grinding wheels from the son of an old-time tool and die maker along with a batch of cut tool steel. Any hint on what they might be for?

Thanx,

Rod

Attachments

• DSCN0653a.jpg
    DSCN0653a.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN0650a.jpg
    DSCN0650a.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 40
A surface grinder. I can't see the pics all that well on my phone but that's what they look like to me.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

White wheels vs gray wheels are usually Aluminum Oxide and used for tool sharpening. They generate less heat than the gray wheels, so less chance of bluing the steel which ruins the edge. I use them in my wood shop to sharpen lathe tools

Thanks much for the ideas.

So the tapers appear to be by design vice by wear?

The picture is just a sample of what I have. Any need by anyone? I cannot think of what I might use them for ... yet and am at that point in life where I need to get rid of some stuff just occupying shelf space.

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
Rod and R2B,

I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread, I clicked on the web address above and now I'm getting f-in adds for Norton white grinding wheels popping up everywhere.

P.S. I hope you guys know I'm just kidding it's all good, just a slow Sunday.

Lou

Rod and R2B,

I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread, I clicked on the web address above and now I'm getting f-in adds for Norton white grinding wheels popping up everywhere.

P.S. I hope you guys know I'm just kidding it's all good, just a slow Sunday.

Lou

Lou,
Well, I guess you at least know where you can get a couple of them cheap. Start a thread on your AK trip; I grew up in Ketchikan.

R2B,
Thanx for the info ... guess I can't just toss them yet.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Really it wasn't a very exciting trip, we go up every year, our son works for the IHS (Indian Health Service). He and his family now live in Anchorage, but he was stationed in Sitka, which is near Ketchikan, they've been in AK for almost 10 years. Actually we've been in Ketchikan, if I remember correctly the airport is on an island and you have to take the ferry to get to Ketchikan. I really like SE AK the weather is much milder.

This year we stayed pretty much around Anchorage, we did go the Girdwood and Whittier, I did take a bunch of pictures, come down and I'll show you the slide show. LOL

BTW, I'm still getting the adds for Norton grinding wheels.

Lou

Hi Rod,

Really it wasn't a very exciting trip, we go up every year, our son works for the IHS (Indian Health Service). He and his family now live in Anchorage, but he was stationed in Sitka, which is near Ketchikan, they've been in AK for almost 10 years. Actually we've been in Ketchikan, if I remember correctly the airport is on an island and you have to take the ferry to get to Ketchikan. I really like SE AK the weather is much milder.

This year we stayed pretty much around Anchorage, we did go the Girdwood and Whittier, I did take a bunch of pictures, come down and I'll show you the slide show. LOL

BTW, I'm still getting the adds for Norton grinding wheels.

Lou

Guess I am not really hijacking the thread, seein as how I started it, just a little redirect.

"weather is much milder"? SE Alaska is milder than Anchorage and interior, just much wetter. Average rainfall in Ketchikan was approx 150 inches per year and often more. Yes, new airport is on island across from town. When I was growing up the only air travel into Ketchikan was via float planes and amphibians; large commercial aircraft landed on an island about 50 miles away and took an amphibian into Ketchikan. In early days the Grumman Goose was the main means which means 8 passengers and one pilot so passengers frequently assisted as crew. 8th passenger sat in the co-pilot seat. Early days the pilot would not mention to passengers heading into Ketchikan that they would be landing on the water resulting in occasional panic on the part of newcomers and great entertainment for regulars.

I still have family in Anchorage.

Re pics: ya got a fresh keg out of the creek and I will stop by.

Getting ads and redirects for all kinds of crap these days, almost tempting to go back to telnet .....

Yep, that makes you an old fart, we're probably about the same age. Anyway, I love Alaska, how does the saying go, "it's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there"? Actually the weather wasn't bad when we were there, anything over 20 degrees feels warm.

I'm probably the only person in KY that has an Alaska Airlines credit card. Best airline credit card in the business, they give you 25000 miles just for getting the card and a $50.00 companion fare each year, plus triple airline miles. 25000 miles is enough for one round trip ticket to Anchorage, so we'll be going again next year.

BTW I'm still getting Norton grinding wheel adds, one just popped up! You can get a whole sharpening setup for only $819.00 maybe you could go into the sharpening business, it would be a great way to use your grinding wheels.

Lou and Sis

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Lou,
My pet kudos been actin up and scratchin at ma's good furniture in the parlor. You reckin them there grindin wheels could grind down them kudos claws?

Hey Lou,
My pet kudos been actin up and scratchin at ma's good furniture in the parlor. You reckin them there grindin wheels could grind down them kudos claws?

You betcha ... will take them down quickly to the second joint so they will not grow back so quick.

Oops, did not intend to jump into the middle of a family discussion.

Lost all my kudos long ago

Back