Got Cylinders Back From Shop... Help

Taxicabyellow

LSS, Found an ebay listing for cylinder work by "Fresh Water PWC Parts". Cylinders got bored .50 over, and honed. Looks good enough.... The issue, I received a text saying "Hi. it's XXXXX from ebay, got your cylinders, some damage on the threads, just letting you know. They are done and on way back" along with a Pic (first photo)... Now i FULLY admit, when the gasket material was still on there, i didnt notice this at all. I'm in no way saying this happened in their possession, but I guess i was just too focused on making sure these would clean up, that I didnt notice. Had I, i would have tried either repairing before sending, or sourcing another hole to ship, as the other one is perfect. I'm a bit frustrated as the listing stated "If your core cylinder(s) have any damage or need new sleeves, or is already bored 1.0mm over, You will be consulted and may have to pay for additional parts". I was not consulted until AFTER these were shipped and picked up by USPS. I feel like this was done purposefully. See other pics for dmg. What would you guys do? I have enough tooling to mill the face a bit if needed, but how would you go about the actual repair? Can i get away with heating up that tab a bit and punching back out, then either tapping or installing a time-sert after? I feel it's a waste of money to have someone go after it with a welder. Please advise!

Attachments

• seadoo1.jpg
    seadoo1.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 15
  • seadoo4.jpg
    seadoo4.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 15
  • seadoo3.jpg
    seadoo3.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 15
  • seadoo2.jpg
    seadoo2.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 15
They should have contacted you before boring that cylinder. I bet they didn't notice until the work was done and didnt want to lose the labor. That will need to go to a machine shop IMO.

They should have contacted you before boring that cylinder. I bet they didn't notice until the work was done and didnt want to lose the labor. That will need to go to a machine shop IMO.
Sadly, I think you’re correct. They have agreed to try to repair for a small amount of money, and I only pay if they can fix it. So gonna let them have a try.

That can be fixed with a little finesse'. Do not apply heat or try to straighten the damge...it will just break. You Need a die grinder with an aluminum cutter (pointy) One is worse than the other but both are fixable. Remember you have good threads at the bottom of the hole. So you just need to clean up the top section (get the hole round) and get the threads to match. You'll need (2) taps, one starting tap and one finishing tap. The starting tap will reach further in the hole and pick up the threads on the bottom so they will match then after you get a few threads into the top section you run the finishing tap and get good threads all the way down. (Myself I wouldn't trust anyone to do this, you're better off doing it yourself)

Die grinder and just open the hole up at the damaged section to the size of the tap drill size. Doesn't have to be exact.
File the gasket surface flat. Do not attempt to repair the damage... leave it as is. You just want to get good threads in there which... you already have at the bottom section. That's only a 15 ftlb torque so it isn't much pressure on the threads. After you get it straightened out you might want to put a little longer than standard bolt in there to reach more of the good threads at the bottom. You don't want to pull on the top threads. Don't pay anyone... take your time. Good Luck !!

I'm a bit frustrated as the listing stated "If your core cylinder(s) have any damage or need new sleeves, or is already bored 1.0mm over, You will be consulted and may have to pay for additional parts". I was not consulted until AFTER these were shipped and picked up by USPS.
If this was done recently you can open a return on the Ebay transactuon and list the reason as "not as described or advertised " and include your reason and pictures as documentation. If Ebay agrees with you they will force the seller to refund the full amount they charged you and have them send you a prepaid label for any return shipping. They probably will not want the the parts returned and just refund your money. If they do want the parts you can decide then if you want if you would want to drop the case.

Back