Good Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmrun1225

I am new to the world of Seadoo's, but i am a pretty big gear head. My question for you is this. A lady i know has 2 2003 seadoo gti's for sale. She said one of them they can't get to start and the other ran fine until they parked it a few years ago and now it won't start either. They have sat in the sun for a few years without a cover and have alot of fading. The trailor they come on has been in a wreck and it kind of twisted in parts. Both seadoo's are said to have pretty low hours but i have no way of knowing for sure. Is $2000 for these two a good deal even If i have to put some money into them? I would like to get these both running and sell them and hopefully be able to afford a faster seadoo as both of these are small two strokes. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Welcome to the site!

$2000 is a good deal in my opinion. I personally would buy these. Is the trailer useable? For the seats, you can have them recovered (which is often done on sun soaked seadoos, including mine). Either way, I'd still get them because if you weren't able to fix them and had to part them out I'm sure you could recover the ammount invested anyway.

We have shop manuals under the premium members section for this model, which I think you should definately look into. They will show you how to fix any problems that may come about.

Let us know what you decide to do!

If you are in a hurry to ride them, then you may want to consider looking for boats in running condition.

But if you are prepared to spend some serious time on this project (and share the experience with us on here!;)) , then this is a pretty good deal.

Welcome to the forum jmrun1225!

Welcome to the forum!....The sea doo's are great riding machines, but asking whether or not your getting a good deal on something that's been sitting out in the sun, exposed to the weather, would be a hard question for me to answer. Knowing what I know about them, if they were the 787 engine model, then yeah, I'd probably do it. Just in parts I cold get my money back!

You didn't specify what model GTI they are, there are 3. Since I can't visually inspect the Doo's your looking at, let me give you something to go by. The Kelly blue book retail value for the 2003 GTI with the 718 engine in excellent shape, cosmetics and engine, goes for about $3,865 and the 787 engine goes for about $4850. One thing in these prices are that when you use the Kelly's blue book website, they quote the retail prices for your area. They do this by asking your zip code before giving you an estimate.

Our premium members section can help you with identifying the engine and models and any of us can help you with questions if you decide to get them and try to get them running. I love the 787 rotax. You'll probably find from any of the members in this forum, that this engine is a very durable engine and with proper maintenance, they'll last a life time. If you have any knowledge of the internal combustion engine, then you'll not have any problems working on them. :cool:

the trailer is usable, just an eye sore with welds that look like mud daubers nest. I can weld fairly well so I will put in a little work to make sure it is safe. I am hoping to spend less than $500 to get both of them running. If it is the 787 engine I might consider keeping them instead of trying to work up to a nicer model. I will probably not ride until next season. If I buy them I will keep you all posted on what is being done. I understand it is hard to say what something is worth with little information and not inspecting it personally. I just have no knowledge on values of Seadoos So i greatly appreciate the help you guys are giving me. Do you know an approx. amount of what it cost to have a seat recovered?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seat?

Sorry, don't know about the seat, but if you want to know what size engine is in them, take off the seat and look toward the back of the engine block. The engine size will be stamped right on top of the PTO housing. Pretty easy to see. I think the other engine size of that time was the 717. Glad to help, hope to hear back from you soon on what your decision is!.....
Louis,
P.S....if it's any other engine beside the 787, it may be stamped on the forward end over the magneto casing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back