Gel Coat Repair Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

netrangerx

I am planing to buy a 1999 Seadoo Sportster 1800. The boat is in great shape except for some gel coat on the left side that appears to be peeling. Is this a common issue? I've been looking at doing the repair myself but would appreciate feedback from experienced Seadoo boat owners. Thanks.

Attachments

• gelcoat1 (Large).jpg
    gelcoat1 (Large).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 60
  • gelcoat2 (Large).jpg
    gelcoat2 (Large).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 46
Yep, I agree, it doesn't look like gel coat, it looks like it's been painted and the paint is pealing. Not necessarily a bad thing, if the repair is sound you can either re gel coat that area or just repaint. It's not in an area that would have an effect of the structural integrity of the boat.

Lou

To me it looks like that section has been reap intend. Look for tape lines and overspray

Yep, that's a basecoat applied right over unprimed gelcoat that's not adhering and peeling off. If the whole boat is painted like that it's gonna be a mess.

Many thanks for the replies. It is painted but nothing structural wrong with the boat. Ill have it stripped and gel coated at some point. For now, time to enjoy boating. Thanks again!:thumbsup:

I would just give it a good hard scrubbing. Then see where you are at. I didn't see any gel coat damage from the pics. Looks like it could of been a quick 'pick me up' fix to sell the boat in the past.
Give it a good buffing in the frozen months and see what you are up against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back