Gauge turning off and on to no power at all

popimp

New to the forum.

2007 155 wake edition 21hrs
The gauge cluster cycles off and on. Without the key on the post. Eventually killing the battery.
After reading some posts on how to check the dess post, I had continuity between blk and blk/purple from the dess (key off post). Which i assume was keeping the system energized.
So I replaced the dess post and now i have no power with the key installed.
To throw in something extra into the situation, the original key was lost so I only have the unprogrammed key to work with until I can get this figured out. Then take it to the dealer to program the key.

It's sat since last summer. When the problem was discovered. Prior to that, it ran well.
Any help or insights?

Last edited:
If that doesn't fix it test your rectifier for a bad diode, 06/07 pretty common to get back flow from the battery to other electrical components. Your old dess post is also probably good and if you put in a Ebay one its probably wrong.

Last edited:
I'll pick a relay up this afternoon and see what happens.

I'll look up how to test that. I thought it had to be running to check the rectifier.

The diode/rectifier test is in the service manual and on you tube, wiggle the pins if and when you test it. The regulator test the ski needs to be running. Its a combo unit, regulator/rectifier.

Last edited:
So no change after swapping the relay.

Diode test, came back all open regardless of dmm probe placement which I think isn't right.

Interesting point, I ground out the blk/ylw, (with key on post ) eveything turns on as it should. Removing the key, turns everything off. Gauges will stay on for about 10 seconds after pulling the key.

The new post is from a jet ski parts place, not oem after I checked the bag it came in...

Using the old post, it wakes up with the key, but the gauges stay on until the rely or battery is disconnected.
That's why I was sure it was the post reed switches not letting go.
It does charge fine. Battery died bc of the gauges.
This machine doesn't have the mpem.

Disconnect the regulator/rectifier and then see if the gauges still cycle on/ off with the key off the post, and then also see if the gauges stay on with the key on the post.

Last edited:
They still stay on.
I think the new aftermarket post is bad. No continuity when the key is placed on the post. No local dealers have one in stock, so I'm going to order an OEM post.

After 10 days at the dealer to get the key programmed 🤬, all is well after swapping to an OEM dess post. Turns on, starts, everything powers down after a few seconds once the key is removed.

Back