Gauge removal

1970_mgb

I want to remove the speedo and tach on my 2000 Sportster LE to try and fix them as I have seen in posts here.
My question is how to remove the gauge. There is i think there is a threaded ring holding the gauges against the dash from the rear of the gauge but it is really tight. I can only stick my hand up through the removable cover on the underside of the hatch but not enough to get a good grip.
How have others done this?

Maybe you can try some rubber on the inside of that oil wrench? You could also wet the nut area with soapy water to help reduce the friction..

I think i need to disassemble the top of the front hatch to get to the gauges. Looks a little difficult with those little recessed screws 5.5 mm hex head I think. I had to order a deep 5.5 socket. Any advice?

I want to remove the speedo and tach on my 2000 Sportster LE to try and fix them as I have seen in posts here.
My question is how to remove the gauge. There is i think there is a threaded ring holding the gauges against the dash from the rear of the gauge but it is really tight. I can only stick my hand up through the removable cover on the underside of the hatch but not enough to get a good grip.
How have others done this?
Just to document the outcome, I was preparing to remove and try repairing the tach but just before taking the front hatch apart i decided to re- hook it up and try it again. Suprise- it works. Assuming it was a bad connection though no corrosion evident. At least I know it's not the gauge itself.

Back