Fuel Sensor - P0463 Fault code

fclepper

2007 Sea-Doo GTX STD (155) ... looking for additional assistance outside the couple of posts related to this issue. Current fault diagnosis / report is: P0463, Fuel level sensor circuit shorted to 12V or open circuit. I have cleaned contacts at both the fuel pump module, as well as the ECU contacts, confirmed continuity for both the ground and load wires from sensor to ECU. The beep warning is intermittent, but guaranteed to get at least a number of alerts on any ride. I have not taken out the fuel module and checked resistance of the float/sending unit, and/or just replace the unit, just a little reluctant to do that if there is a simpler solution that I'm overlooking for this specific fault alert. Welcome anyone's thoughts. (PS ... I was having a similar issue with the water temp sensor but cleaning everything up seems to have resolved that issue - regardless the fuel sensor is driving me batty). Thanks.

How much fuel is in the tank?

What is your voltage on the pink wire going to the fuel pump module with the ski awake and with it connected to the pump?

Tank is 3/4 full, and the pink wire is reading 12.7V with the ski awake. I'm not sure, however, how to take the reading and keep the wire connected to the pump, so I may owe you a different answer. Thanks for the reply.

Fuel level is determined by a simple resistance check which you can measure both at the sender(two middle pink and pink/black wires normally) and the ECU. Full tank will be 0 ohms at a full tank and around 90 ohms empty. The fuel level sending unit is very reliable as it's a Bosch design and part that has been used in automotive for like 30 years. I see more bad ECUs that don't interpret the ohms correctly internally than I do bad senders. Typically, the ECU thinks the tank is empty or an open circuit when it is actually a full tank with 0 ohms resistance.

Last edited:
Tank is 3/4 full, and the pink wire is reading 12.7V with the ski awake. I'm not sure, however, how to take the reading and keep the wire connected to the pump, so I may owe you a different answer. Thanks for the reply.
You will need to back probe the pink wire with a t-pin and then measure the voltage on the T-pin while the connector is connected to the fuel pump module. You had 12.7V with the connector disconnected right? What is it with it connected? Next, insert the T-pin on the pin/black wire (backprobe), and see what your voltage is.

Since your tank is 3/4 full, and with the resistance numbers provide by Skidoo, you should see less than 1 volt on the ground wire.

While taking your voltage readings on both the pink and pink/black wires, shake/wiggle the wiring harness and see if the voltage numbers change.

Next, switch your meter over to ohms, and check between terminals B & C (the two inner terminals on the fuel pump); what is your resistance reading?

Last edited:
Thanks MK ... job intervened in me getting back to the ski. Here's in the information based on what I believe you asked me to do.

While connected to the module w/ ECU energized: Pink wire voltage: 0.7, pink/black wire: 0.04.
Shaking the harness did not generate any swings in the readings.
Ohm reading between the B&C 195 ohms

Full disclosure my electrical engineering class was two-score and five years ago. :)

You remember Kirchhoff's law right?

From the measurements you've taken (correct me if I'm wrong).

1. You had 12.7 VDC on the pink wire with the ski awake.
2. You had .7VDC on the same wire with it connected to the fuel pump module (ski also awake) SOMETHING'S wrong here; what's pulling this voltage to near zero before it's going through the fuel pump sending unit resistor? I see a short here, and it looks like it's in the sending unit.
3. You had .04 VDC on the ground wire (ski awake). Good ground via the ECU.

What your readings tell me is there is nothing wrong with your wiring or the power supply to the fuel pump module.
It also tells me there is nothing wrong with the ECU ground; you're reading less than 300 mv

Your reading 195 ohms resistance with 3/4 tank of fuel? Looks like your sending unit is off the scale. If I'm interpreting the chart from chapter 6 correctly, as the fuel level increases, the resistance decreases, so I'd guess you should be seeing 27-30 ohms.

fuel pump sending unit resistance.jpg
Based on your findings, I would change the fuel pump module before I changed the ECU.

Back