fuel problem ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryo

a bombadier gtx 96 (new rebuilt engine) and it stalls over 4000 rpms. i am told that ethanol is the problem. a shop is replacing hoses and rebuilding the carb. is this something a novice could do? wont this just continue to happen as i ride w/ the ethanol gas? what should i expect to spend for such a job? any way i can prevent this in the future?

Yes to your questions!

You shouldn't be using ethanol. You should be using regular unleaded, 87 octane gas. And yes, if you have any kind of mechanical apptitude, then you can rebuild these carbs yourself. They are really a pretty simple set-up (2 jets, the pilot and the main). Most important thing in their rebuild is to make sure you syncro them back to each other, don't cross over from the MAG carb to the PTO carb and make sure after a rebuild, if your still using the oil injection pump, to check that it's in sycro with your carbs. The manuals are in lamens terms and really easy to understand. I have the 97 model 787 and have done both my carbs, the RAVE valves and did a complete rebuild of my pump.
Our premium membership gives you access to everything you'd need to take on this task and if you get stuck, hey, there are several of us here that can lend you a hand.:cool:

Stalling over 4000 rpm's could be due to a stopped up main jet. As far as cost, when you took it to the shop, there should have been a sign on the wall advertising their labor charge by the hour.....it's probably around $50 bucks an hour.............I'm only guessing there, because I have only taken my motorcycle to a repair shop, ONLY ONCE!........after that, I bought a book!

my state only offers ethanol gas. anyone had a problem or solution when using ethanol when there is no other option?

Where in the H#*^ do you live?

They only offer ethanol?........wow, that's a first for me. Tell me, is there an octance rating on it and if so, what octane are you using? You may ask a local dealership near you about the use of ethanol in these machines, they may agree to using an octane booster, which you can get from Wal-mart, but only if they say it's o.k
I, like almost everyone else on this site uses between 87 to 91 octane fuel, and no additives. Most fuels come with additives that are detergent in nature to keep fuel injectors clean. Others that may use octane boosters are racers who modify their carbs and compression ratio and a lot more stuff, so they need it and know how to use it. Find out from your dealership, re-post, I'd like to know what they say!................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back