Frozen cylinder head bolts

Mark93

Hi, I’ve got low compression on by cylinders of my 2002 GTX DI around 90 psi. So I’m trying to take my cylinder head off in order to inspect what’s going on but I’m have huge issues removing the corroded head bolts. I’ve managed to remove 2 with MAPP gas torch and slowly wiggle the bolt back and forth. But with most of the others it’s just broken the tip of the E12 bolt which is as awkward as it can be 😩.. I have tried to weld a nut on to the top but I believe the bolts are stainless steel and the nuts I’m trying to put on are steel, my little gasless MIG welder is not man enough.. or I’m not doing something properly.

I’m close to using a dremel to cut the heads off them but I’m worried about causing more mess. Has anyone got any better suggestions?

Head bolts on the DI are pure garbage. I wish I could advise you but if they are like what I run into in South Louisiana... cutting the heads off would be the best thing for you. I'd consider drilling the head bolts as it is more controlled. Basically just remove the cap of the bolt so you can remove the head. I haven't tried this on the DI but I'm a machinist by trade and that would be my method of choice. I've fought a number of 787's and I always break one or two bolts and that's taking my time, lots of heat and patience. I can get them loose but they won't back out due to build up on the sides of the bolt. I've tried every concoction I can think of, chemicals, heat, you name it.

I've only had one DI where I couldn't loosen the head bolts and I stopped short of damaging the top of the bolt. I ended up sending it to SES because Tom asked for engines to repair and I had 2 engines sitting around. I wouldn't recommend SES because of the time frame on the repairs. Only send him stuff you can't fix like... a hole in the side of the casing. LOL

Back