Front Brakes, installed Carbon Rotors...

Coastiejoe

Ya I know,, getting slow around here.. LOL

I just installed pads and rotors on my Lexus RX350. I put on Carbon Rotors. So far I really like them. They come wrapped in plastic and do NOT have any oil based protestant on them. They are dry as a bone and ready to install. Had a tiny bit of noise so I applied the breaks and accelerated for maybe 15 seconds. Noise gone and they work great...

Enlighten me, why Carbon? Do they last longer or just break better? What is the upgrade worth cost wise?

I do all my own brake jobs as well (5 vehicles), but never looked into the upgrade.

Enlighten me, why Carbon? Do they last longer or just break better? What is the upgrade worth cost wise?

I do all my own brake jobs as well (5 vehicles), but never looked into the upgrade.

First, the price difference was minimal in my opinion, I think less than 30 bucks per rotor. I did a fair amount of reading and found the following mentioned almost everywhere... Maximum Air Flow and Cross Cooling, Deglazes and Degasses Pads, Increased Brake Pad Bite, Improved Wet Weather Braking, Reduced Fade, Reduced Dust, Longer Pad and Rotor Life.

Now,, I have not have them on long enough to honestly tell if all of the above is true and accurate. I can tell you, they are very smooth and absolutely quite. Everything I know about carbon is that it does cool quicker and takes great abuse with minimal side effect. So the main reasons I did it, was the hope they would be quite, work well and cool quickly. As you likely know, heat is what kills breaks. I also went with them as I didn't want rusty disks that get scale built up on them if I could avoid it...

Sounds reasonable, I will have to give them a try next time. Is there any special pad requirements, or can you use a regular OEM pads?

You can use any from what I read. I went with 2nd to highest price/quality. I am not a fan of full ceramic pads. They are SO HARD and or get baked and become HARDER,, they make noise and wipe out the softer item which is brake rotor itself..

I know we can't avoid ceramic brakes to speak of, so I normally get the 2nd to highest. So far that thought process has worked for me.

Hmmm, i just replaced my brakes and rotors on my 02 Envoy. I replaced them with the "gold" series brakes, whatever that means even tho the truck has 150k on it. I had them turned and replaced pads at probably 90k, and while they were a little warped, they still stopped just fine. So many people go through brakes so fast, i feel like if you just drive normal, dont stop and slam on your brakes (cough *women drivers* cough), and to me the most important thing seems to keep your brakes clean, aka wash your car regularly, then brakes should last a very long time. My mother does none of the above, and she seems like she is always changing them. Im pretty sure the rear discs on my truck are original and stop just fine.

I put about 200 miles on these at this point. Very happy with them. If they keep going like they are at this point, I will never go back to metal rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting, I'm dropping my wifes ES300 off Friday for new pads, possibly rotors, I might discuss the costs for upgrade if rotor's need done.

Like I said,, I am sold if they continue on the path they are going now. I'll change out the rear disks as well once I feel they need it. I had 49,000 miles on the brakes and I could feel and hear the front brakes reaching their demise. Once I got them off, I had 1/8th inch to 1/4 inch left. Good timing on my behalf..

I had a MAJOR HARD and quick stop today. Guy ran a light. Super impressed with these rotors. Changing my rears just because. I'm sold for life after today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Florida! I drive for a living and have never seen people drive like they do in Florida. They think you are too slow turning left. They go around you, left or right side and hang a left in front of you.
Between lights it's a drag strip to the next red light. My Wife's Grandma lived in Tampa. I was amazed how people drive in that City!

And the deeper south you get in Florida, the worse it seems to get. Best way I have found to describe it is, they treat it like Tetris. If they is a hole, they will fill it. And they don't do it politely,, it is a serious jerk of the steering wheel. It happens so fast that they can't even turn the blinker on before they are already in the hole..

Back