Foam under Swim deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

CypherAZ

Underneath the swim deck inside the engine compartment on my C180 there is a large piece of hard foam covered in that black sound foam material. Is this piece somehow supposed to be secured underneath the swim deck area? And what is it for? Mine doesn't seem to be secured to anything.

lol

thats kinda funny! mine has the same thing and it not secured to anything either! i was wondering the same thing!!!! lol :confused:

Im with Kevin.. Probably to meet flotation requirements and also to provide weight support in the center of the swim deck.
Im sure the foam is to also help disperse the weight from swimmers putting a heavy load on a small area which will prevent cracking an what not....
Thats my 2 cents

If you want to secure it im sure you could use some liquid nail/ or any kind of strong adhesive on the top side or bottom to set it in place....

Once again you mass produce boats a few or hell maybe most of them are going to have some foam flopping around...

Poking around my hull I have found several pieces of foam none of which are secured. Thinking about it they really do not need to be if they are in areas that they cannot "get out" of. The foam is there for floatation purposes and as long as they stay in they will serve their purpose. Another option for securing would be expanding foam, you can buy it at HomeDepot and it will stick to the glass and foam as well as give you more...

So has any one ever glued this stuff back up? I was in some really rough water yesterday (boat did a bit of pounding) and looks like mine fell down, it was never there before.Looks like it would be hard to get at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back