Fixed my computer with toothpaste,,,

Coastiejoe

Been running hotter and hotter over the last 30 days. I could hear a fan run occasionally so I knew it was cooling. Decided to open it up to see if the vents were plugged. Nope, nothing that obvious.

Found I have three fans and only one would turn on every now and then. Put voltage to the other fans and they worked. So figured they were not being triggered to turn on.

Pulled the heat sink and found the heat sink grease that goes between the heat sink and the CPU was basically dust. Cleaned the dust away, put toothpaste on the contact points, put it all back together and now the fans are being triggered to turn on.

Ordered a tube of heat sink grease from eBay. Once it gets here I'll swap out the toothpaste.

It does smell minty fresh though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is used to have a good transfer of heat from the CPU to the heat sink. In my case, I basically had air and air sucks for heat transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted to put it back together so I had to think of something,, And Heat sink grease is pretty much that, grease. But has aluminum in it to help transfer the heat. This was like 10pm last night,,, So toothpaste was all I had immediate access to,,

Your lucky it did not kill your processor chip.
Dielectric tune up grease is what is used most times. Buy the big tube
Put it in all your PWC junction plugs. Cover connections too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought 5 tubes as it was a buy 2 get 3 free. So I will have plenty in the near future.

The moment I started the computer up with the toothpaste I could feel a difference. Those other two fans pulling the heat from the heat sink made a huge difference.. And no more blue screen of death...

Back