First Weekend with new (used) Ski - Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GadgetRick

So, picked up my 2012 Wake Pro 215 the other day (first ski). Rode it over the weekend. Lots of fun! Holy cow this has a lot of power! Put about 4 hours on it over a day and a half of riding.

Anyway, had some questions (cosmetic):

-The ski obviously sat in the sun a bit too long here in FL. Slight oxidation on some of the plastic. Not bad but I'd like to brighten it all back up. What do you suggest for this? I know there are some good things I've used on cars before but wondering if there is something different I should use for the marine environment.
-The rubber skid mats are a bit worn and starting to peel a bit. I plan on replacing them once they get a little worse (or in the Fall when it's not so hot). What do you suggest I replace them with?
-Is there a way of connecting some type of quick connector to the inlet valve for flushing the exhaust I can leave on there? I saw the SD one in the manual--and got one with a flush kit--but they're kinda flimsy plastic and I worry about breaking it. Or should I just suck it up and not try to be lazy?
-The buttons on the handlbars (for Sport and Cruise Modes) need to be replaced. Is there anywhere around here I can find the procedure for doing this? I'm reasonably-handy.
-Are there better grips you might suggest? These are ok but not terribly-tacky and wondering if there is something more comfortable. And looking for a procedure for replacing them.

Thanks a bunch. Looking forward to enjoying this thing for quite some time.

Heat gun on the faded plastic then Wipe with RENEW. Do a google search on "heat gun renew plastic" and you will see the process.

You can thread a quick disconnect onto the flush port, BUT,,, It needs to allow flow. Many shut off flow unless the other half is connected to it.

2016 grips fit the ski and are GREAT. Cheap mid, work well.

54.jpg

Start button and cruise button covers are simple to replace. Go to seadoowarehouse.com and click on the parts lists for your ski. You can get the part numbers and order them right there.

The button covers are within the plastic case. If you look closely on the underside, you will see small indentations where you can slip in a screwdriver blade. The plastic cap uses prongs on the top that go under the edge, so don't pry the cover up on the top of the handlebars, only from the bottom. Remove the old covers, slide in the new ones. Put the prongs under the edge, position the cover and smack it back in place with your hand. This is literally a 30 second job. I changed mine on a 2011 GTI LTD and on a friends 2012 GTX. Easy.

As [MENTION=43374]Coastiejoe[/MENTION] said, a number of us have also changed our grips, also. There is a thread here on how to do that and they make a big difference.

Thanks for all of the info! Ordering the grips and button covers.

Looking forward to the weekend to get out again! :)

agree with the responses, I like the grips as well.

y'all covered everything I was going to say except the turf, so i'll cover that...

Blacktip and hydroturf both sell replacement mat's, both around $100ish shipped.

IMO they are pretty comparable, but HT has more of a solid reputation, time in business, etc.

the hardest part is removing the old mat's , its a major PITA sometimes, and other times they come off without much of a struggle. Installing them actually only takes 15 minutes and that includes running inside for a beer.

agree with the responses, I like the grips as well.

y'all covered everything I was going to say except the turf, so i'll cover that...

Blacktip and hydroturf both sell replacement mat's, both around $100ish shipped.

IMO they are pretty comparable, but HT has more of a solid reputation, time in business, etc.

the hardest part is removing the old mat's , its a major PITA sometimes, and other times they come off without much of a struggle. Installing them actually only takes 15 minutes and that includes running inside for a beer.

I figured it won't be easy to remove. They're peeling a little. I'll probably try this in the fall when it's cooler here. Been 95-100 here lately. :(

Notice, however, that there are 2 part numbers. 277001802 - Red, which is for the Start button cover and 277001803 -Gray for the Cruise button cover.

I figured it won't be easy to remove. They're peeling a little. I'll probably try this in the fall when it's cooler here. Been 95-100 here lately. :(

plastic scraper, some brake cleaner, and a 12oz jar of elbow grease :) Should take under an hour from my experience.

In May I did a XL1200 took like 1.5 hours.... soul crushing...
Did a GTX a couple weeks ago, they were off in 20 minutes, woohoo!

My new plan for next project is to find a teenager, $15 !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back