Extra oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEA-MONSTER

Hello, back in April I purchase a 96 GTX w/ a fresh rebuilt engine w/ 0 hours for $600.00. No paper work and a rough hull but it was put together pretty well and a good deal. My buddy charged me $100.00 to get the paper work (mechanics lean) and now its registered. The guy I bought it from works for a motorcycle shop and rebuilt it him self in his garage with a bunch of other pwcs & motorcycles. I asked him if he rebuilt the carbs, he did not, he went thru them.(what ever that means) I did some maintenance, changed the fuel lines, changed the oil injection lines, drained the oil & fuel tanks, installed new oil filter and cleaned the fuel filter & selection switch, primed the oil pump, changed the pump oil,(the whole pump looks new the prop and wear ring look good to. I haven't used it yet because I have been working 6 days and I have been using my explorer. Well last weekend (Sunday) I tried it out and it did not run well(so much for going thru the carbs!) I removed the carbs and gave to my local pwc repair guy, he rebuilt them and he said it needed it, I reinstalled them last night and used the ski this morning. It ran great! I am happy with it's performance I have a 50:1 ratio of oil in the tank because of break in. Now here is my question....My tech told me to add 1 oz of oil to for every gallon in the tank for a safety margin, what do you guys think? Keep in mind that the injection pumped is hooked up and operating properly.

1oz per gallon is a 128-1 ration, which honestly won't help or hurt anything either way.
if it makes you feel better go ahead, not sure if the engine will even notice it.

1oz per gallon is a 128-1 ration, which honestly won't help or hurt anything either way.
if it makes you feel better go ahead, not sure if the engine will even notice it.

Yep... what he said.

If your pumps fails... it's not enough oil to save the engine. So... it's really not going to help.

BUT... with that said... I will add an oz or so of oil, per/gal, to the the fuel, before I winterize it, and some marine Sty-Bil (last tank of the season) A little extra oil is good for when you bring it out of hibernation... and I find that the oil will help keep the carbs from rusting.

Other than that... it's just making smoke, and wasting oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back