External bilge pump for a sub move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefan

Hi there.
I've seen a couple of videos on youtube where people submerge their boats pretty badly, I wonder if an additional bilge pump is required to deal with that water afterwards. Once I even done it myself to a small extend, got only about a foot of water inside, but I was going to pull the boat out right after that, it was the end of the day. Everyone loved it :hurray:, now I want to be ready for a more serious action, I am thinking of buying an additional bilge pump to chase the water out, it looks like an accessory jack should hold up to a power of 1000 or 1500 gph pump that are available on ebay.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Submarine boats?..

The Sea-Doo boats aren't really meant to send into the waves, bow first. But because the maker of Sea-Doo's think of everything, most of the boats are designed as "wet boats". What I mean by that, is that there is a hole in the back of the boat, usually along the back row of seats, where there is a 2 inch drain hose connected to drain out the inside of the boat if a wave washes over the top. The water shoud not get into the engine compartment.

Thanks for a quick answer.
I do know about that hole, but through that one the water would just freely flow down, I think it would be a very slow process considering the amount of water getting in, according to those videos. Thanks to Seadoo that the engine compartment is almost sealed so we could try some crazy stuff and get the most out of that beautiful toy

engine compartment....

That's correct. The only way water gets into the engine compartmen is through the storage (ski) door in the floor and the little holes that drain the mid (depending on boat model) and rear seats. In the engine compartment itself, maybe a small leak through the shaft seal..........
But to me, if you take on a really good wave, that little hole in the back just isn't big enough to remove the water fast enough.......but your right, you can put these boats through some hard driven, and them still come out on top!...

I've seen it

Yeah, I've seen it, but others may not. So thanks for posting the link. I can promise, you'll not see me do these kinds of things.......
Although the boats are designed to take a lot of punishment, continual abuse like this will lead to the boats early demise.........:ack:

I prefer to jump the waves ...rather than take a chance of water , salt or fresh in my motors.Remember they breath what ever is in the engine compartment. If it stalls and has any water in it, it will not be easy to start. Or it could short out the battery and the bilge won't pump it out and they will sink!

?.....

Here, I'd ask, isn't the engine compartment sealed? From all the research I've done on the Sea-Doo boats, the engine compartment is practically sealed from the environment. Even the engine cover has a up-raised rim on it. The door in the floor would be a possibility, but even it has a rubber seal and the extra weight of the water seems that it'd only make the seal stronger. The back seats have 1/4" holes drilled in the fiberglass, to drain water standing behind the cushions to find a way out. But for the most part, I thought all the water getting into the boat while at play, drained out the 2" hole in the back. That tube under the seat, drains directly out of the back oof the boat. The only water getting into the engine compartment should be through the "thru-hull" fitting of the shaft.....
Just a thought. I know that's how my Challenger is set up, but I don't know about all the Sea-Doo line of boats. I could find out though.

well, I hear you guys, thanks for the input
while I share you opinion that the Speedster is made for a surface fun, it just happen to be made so versatile that dipping the nose a bit is totally possible. It looks to me the the air intake for the engine is those two ear type holes at the edge of the engine hood, behind the seats, as long as those are not under water everything should be all right. I know I wouldn't be able to resist surprising my guests in the boat with a little water inside :)

I cant view the link at the moment, at work. But i have seen the speedster with wake tower do the sub on youtube and have read a post by the driver about it and he said he sucked water into the motors through the intakes after the water had made its way to the engine compartment. Louis is right when he says that water can make its way to the engine compartment, if you take to much water on it cant escape through the drain hole fast enough, so the rest flows through to the bilge for the pump to deal with. Having an extra pump will help but be carefull how much water you take on!!

P.S. I agree with Karl, Jump the waves instead!!!! Up to 5' of air so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sink....

I just want to ride across them. It would be my luck that I jump one, then go head first into the next one and sink!..........:ack:

OK, thanks for advice, I will do more jumping now, it's as exiting as diving.
I've done it a couple of times by accident, and the impact on landing was quite hard, especially when you don't know what to expect, we usually have some waves here on Black Sea, so I didn't want to have something fall apart when doing that :), now I'll look at this idea with different eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back