Exhaust manifold to cylinders 1998 sea doo gti Loctite or molykote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OTHAWK

I had an oil leak last year and had to remove the exhaust manifold to get to the oil intake WAY WAY below it. It was just a clamp that needed tightening and I solve that issue

I then proceeded to reconnect the exhaust manifold and used a thread blocker to secure the 8 bolts. Well my son drove it for a while and then everything came apart. The 8 bolts came loose. Come the find out the thread blocker that came from my neighbor was purchased at HARBOR FREIGHT. So it was probably not the right kind to use

Here we are a few months later and the sea doo it still not put back together and here is the rub.

WHEN I LOOK AT THE PART DIAGRAM for the 1998 sea doo GTI there is a small drop that indicates to use molykote NOT LOCTITE 242

WHEN I LOOK AT THE PART DIAGRAM FOR A 1998 SEADOO GTX the diagram indicates to use LOCTTITE 242

Does that make any sense? I have the 1998 GTI. would it not make sense to use loctire there? Is molykote a thread blocker also?

I want to do this right and want to make sure this thing does not come apart anymore.

ALSO is it necessary to put lubrication on the manifold gaskets?

I appreciate all the help. New to this repair thing. Answer like I'm a 2 year old. all the details possible.

thank you

Attachments

• gti.png
    gti.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 20
  • gtx.png
    gtx.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
A couple of drops . I use one of the other bolts to roll it around the threads. This is just how I do it. It may not be what the manual says. I’ve put many 720 manifolds on like that and never had a problem. I also use lock washers.

these are the bolts that came off the manifold do i add a lock washer. it did not have any

Attachments

• 32559356_1508265599303205_5108846465967456256_n.jpg
    32559356_1508265599303205_5108846465967456256_n.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 21
Let me double check about the lock washers when I get home . I have a 720 in my shop

A 1998 GTI should have lock washers. The bolts shouldn’t need loctite but it won’t hurt. Make sure you use a new gasket and torque in the proper order and setting per the manual.
Pretty sure the bolts are Allan head but could be wrong.

A 1998 GTI should have lock washers. The bolts shouldn’t need loctite but it won’t hurt. Make sure you use a new gasket and torque in the proper order and setting per the manual.
Pretty sure the bolts are Allan head but could be wrong.

UH oh! torque order? setting? need to find a manual?

Does setting mean the amount of pressure to apply? do I need a special tool?

BTW it never had lock washers before I took it apart.

Attachments

• 32559356_1508265599303205_5108846465967456256_n.jpg
    32559356_1508265599303205_5108846465967456256_n.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 11
Yes on the lockwashers . But I see someone already told you. That a big reason why they loosened up. They are allans

The parts diagram calls for hex bolts and lock washers on the 1998. The newer ones used the bolts like you show. Are you sure you have a 1998? Last 2 digits of the VIN is the year.

You need a torque wrench and the manual to do it correctly.

The parts diagram calls for hex bolts and lock washers on the 1998. The newer ones used the bolts like you show. Are you sure you have a 1998? Last 2 digits of the VIN is the year.

you bring up a good point. yes the vin ends with 98 but i purchased it used over 16 years ago. The previous owner ( a friend of ours) said the original motor was shot because used in salt water and not taken care of properly. When he sold it to us he said the motor had been changed, could be the reason why the different bolts? meaning a more recent motor? because the bolts were fine before i removed them. now I'm in a mess.

torque wrench, what is a fair price for one to do this particular job?

sorry for all the questions guys. I'm just trying to get this thing done right

If you have a harbor freight you can get one there also some autozone stores will loan them out.

is there a way to identify the year of the motor itself on the motor itself. not on the hull. I say this because the previous owner said that the motor had been changed as the original motor (1998) was shot in the ocean water. given the screws on the exhaust are at least from 1999 model according to the part manual, this could be a later model number rather than 98 as indicated by the vin? would that be possible?

well i just found the invoice from the previous owner,

one new SBT engine for 1075$

invoice dates july 19th 2000

It really doesn't matter as the 720 never had any major changes. SBT is fine but nothing special. Once you install new gaskets and torque the bolts in the proper order it should be fine. You can add some blue loctite to the threads for peace of mind.

His picture is a hex bolt. Socket bolts are the ones that use an Allen wrenches.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back