Engine won’t rev past 5600 rpm

Cam55

Hello everyone I’m new to the forum! Looking for some advice on a 2001 islandia. Purchased this boat in 2020 and in the summer of 2021 the crank bearings went out. I have since rebuilt the engine and it overall seams to run well. When I 1st got the boat i think the rpm would pull right to 6000 and speed of about 43-46 mph. Now it will only go past 5600 if you turn right. Turning left actually drops rpm. Assuming this is probably a ride plate adjustment to correct this. When accelerating hard the boat slowly climbs in rpm and speed to 5600 and 35 ish mph. It doesn’t ever slip under acceleration even with a heavier load. Almost like the lack of full power gives it grip as I remember when I got the boat I could easily over rev on hard acceleration. The fuel system seams to check out and it has spark on all 6 at idle. Any insight would be appreciated!

I would double-check the throttle linkage and throttle arm adjustments on the new engine. This throttle arm also affects timing (connected to trigger)... which I would also double-check on the new motor. There is also possible jet pump. Impeller-to-wear_ring gap could be causing you to lose thrust.

Interesting, mine has never revved past 5300 rpm’s or so. For me it’s never been an issue, I like to cruise around 4800 rpm’s anyways.

Hello everyone I’m new to the forum! Looking for some advice on a 2001 islandia. Purchased this boat in 2020 and in the summer of 2021 the crank bearings went out. I have since rebuilt the engine and it overall seams to run well. When I 1st got the boat i think the rpm would pull right to 6000 and speed of about 43-46 mph. Now it will only go past 5600 if you turn right. Turning left actually drops rpm. Assuming this is probably a ride plate adjustment to correct this. When accelerating hard the boat slowly climbs in rpm and speed to 5600 and 35 ish mph. It doesn’t ever slip under acceleration even with a heavier load. Almost like the lack of full power gives it grip as I remember when I got the boat I could easily over rev on hard acceleration. The fuel system seams to check out and it has spark on all 6 at idle. Any insight would be appreciated!
my utopia is doing the same thing... max of 5200. My last challenger went right to 6200

Cleaned out the pickup screen on the bottom of the high pressure pump. Picked up 200rpm so 5800 now. Probably just run it easy for the remainder of the season then put in a new pump and rebuild the pulse pump

Cleaned out the pickup screen on the bottom of the high pressure pump. Picked up 200rpm so 5800 now. Probably just run it easy for the remainder of the season then put in a new pump and rebuild the pulse pump

I don't think your ride plate is an rpm issue. More likely your "steering assist" system in the helm box attached to steering cable.
Have you checked fuel pressure? Pump should maintain pressure at WOT. Have you done a compression check lately? Making sure all 6 cyl. are able to contribute equally. Lots of threads here about that.
Perhaps time to make a TPS adjustment. Many threads here.

Back