Engine Oil Level and check engine warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

bf30064

I have a 2013 GTI 130 and the oil was replaced about 10 hours ago. Last night my son claimed that he got a check engine warning with an alarm. We immediately turned off the ski and turned it back on and the warning went away. We drove it about 15 more minutes back to the ramp and took it out of the water.

This evening I leveled the skis and checked the oil level. It does register low but I’m guessing it’s not accurate accurate since the engine was cold.

The attached picture shows the low oil reading as indicated by the purple line.

how much will it change if I check the oil when the engine is warm? Will it register higher or lower? Just trying to figure out if I need to add any oil and if so how much.

Attachments

• 8B96761C-452D-413B-8063-7528E4504755.jpeg
    8B96761C-452D-413B-8063-7528E4504755.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 16
Did you do the oil check the correct way? Sitting level , Start it up for 30 seconds , then wait 30 seconds and then check the level , if you add oil start the procedure again. Doing it cold helps you see the level on the dipstick , no real level difference between hot and cold.

Haven’t checked after warming it up. Will tackle tomorrow or Friday.

Sorry for the noob questions if there’s no real difference between warm and cold why not just check it cold?

Based on what you see here would you add a bit and then run the cycle the first time? How much should I add each cycle? I was thinking 1/4 of a quart. Not sure why it’s low to start with.

Once this is confirmed in range, I’ve read that if it happens again that it might me an oil sensor. I guess that would be my next item to investigate.

Thanks for the feedback and help.

Your oil level is not low, anywhere between the two red lines is the proper level per BRP with a warm engine and the ski level. Liquids expand with heat so your level will go up with a warm engine. It is roughly a quart between the two red lines.

Considering replacing the oil sensor before putting it back in the water. What do you think of that approach? I'm not 100% sure that's the problem but seems simple enough and inexpensive. Would save the hassle of getting it up to the lake and ruining an afternoon with an alarm. The ski has roughly 160 hours and from what I've read its common for those sensors to go bad around 150. Alternatively I can drop her in and see if it happens again... don't want to do any damage but also don't want to bring it to a shop unnecessarily. Thanks again for the advice. Brand new to the world of PWCs.

Why don't you check the fault codes before you start randomly replacing parts? When the code is active, if you scroll through the menu, there will be a new menu item that says "FAULT CODES", press set and there it will be.

If the oil was low and it gave a warning , once you bring the oil back to the proper level you have to run it for a bit in the water before the warning goes away, it needs to prove the oil pressure over a range of RPM before it removes the warning. Fill it with oil the proper way and try it before you start replacing parts.

thanks again all. I searched for the fault code menu but could not find it. Does that mean there are no active fault codes? Do these Machines ever through warnings that just go away?

You are correct, no fault code menu means no active faults. SeaDoos are very good at correcting themselves meaning as soon as the fault code is fixed or it thinks it's fixed, it will go from active to occurred and then the only way to see the code is through BUDS or other aftermarket software.

You will have to get the code while it is happening.

There is no low oil level sensor on Seadoos, only low oil pressure. Why do you suspect it is an oil issue at all? 2011 and newer oil pressure senders are very reliable and rarely fail.

I gravitated towards oil because it’s the easiest thing to check and appeared low on the dipstick based on the research i was doing. Read that oil pressure warning system is sensitive to it being too low or too high and believed mine to be a little low.

More than anything i’m new to this and take good care of my stuff and don’t wanna do any damage. Glad to hear the 2011 + sensors are reliable.

I’m also starting to think I should take it out for a ride and monitor what happens. Maybe it was a fluke.

If it was low oil pressure you would have got the low oil pressure warning indication and the ski would go into limp mode. When you get a check engine light and the ski does not go into limp mode it is a minor fault, and yes you can get a false indications, but the system is self correcting and the fault becomes not active. Take it for a ride.

Last edited:
All we got was a warning sound and check engine light. Then it went away after we turned it off and started it back up. No active fault codes. Oil level checked out fine.

I’ll take her for a spin! Thank you all.

If anything comes up I’ll report back here. Again, appreciate all the advice. Have a great summer.

Could very well be the Oil Pressure Sensor. If it's going bad, it can produce a check engine light and fault code. I recently had a P0524 while idling. Once I increased speed, it cleared. I've put about 5-10 hours on it since I replaced the OPS and have had no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back