Electrical problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarn1301

I have a 1996 SPX and last summer I was having starter issues, which I fixed, but now this summer it was running good until me and a buddy were riding 2-up which is probably more weight than it should have on it but anyway we were riding and fell off a few times and the last time we fell off I jumped back on put the key in and there was nothing gauges didnt come on and no movement from the starter so I checked the battery the voltage is fine. my brother put power straight to the starter and it fired right up. then he talked to a mechanic and he said either your solenoid or computer control panel or something along those lines is shot, so he tried the solenoid, that wasn't it and was told whatever that computer control panel thing is that the mechanic was talkin about would be spendy. is there any suggestions out there on what to check, what it could be, or what to try? it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

How did you put power directly to the starter. If you jumped the solenoid it means it's the solenoid, replace it.

Lou

he said he put power directly to the starter, which turned over, then he put in a new solenoid and tried starting it using the starter switch and there is no power, he was thinking it could be the starter switch/button.

Switch, from the sounds of it. 12volt tester is a good investment. You can check continuity on all the related circuits for little $$$

so i took a meter to it and there was power going to the switch not sure how to test if power is comin out of the switch and tested the gauges and there was no power going to them when I hit the start button. so Is there a way to test if the button has power coming out?

so i took a meter to it and there was power going to the switch not sure how to test if power is comin out of the switch and tested the gauges and there was no power going to them when I hit the start button. so Is there a way to test if the button has power coming out?

No power to the switch,,,, Check all the fuses in the various electrical boxes. The main brain has a few and inside the brain is a relay that feeds the solenoid. But,,, that relay will not get power until you figure out why the switch is not getting power...

no there IS power going into the switch but when I hit the switch there is no power going to the gauges. are the two wires going into the switch a pos. and neg. or is one power going in and the other power coming out?

wow nevermind I guess was tugging around on the ground cable and sure enough that was it. stupid me.....thanks anyways guys!

wow nevermind I guess was tugging around on the ground cable and sure enough that was it. stupid me.....thanks anyways guys!

Enough can NOT be said about quality connections... This is the issue in many cases and people just keep on chasing ghosts...

Glad you found it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back