Drive housing gear lube

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhibbs

I didn't know anything about replacing the drive housing gear lube until someone mentioned it on this site. I have a 2001 Challenger and I'm sure it's never been checked. I know I never checked it before today. I thought it was almost empty when I took the screws out but it's slowly draining now. It's about as thick as honey and black. It will probably take 24-hours to drain at this rate. I wonder if I should flush it some how with something else before I put the High Performance Gear Lube in.

If you don't know about how to change it there are two screws near the intake grate. The one in the center is for draining and the one near the edge is a vent screw. It takes 27 oz of gear lube.

I'd pump fresh lube through it run it a little while and then drain it again. This should be changed every year or 50hrs.

On this subject.... Concerning the thin blue gasket on the drain and fill plugs, I lost one while changing oil. Is there a substitute I can use in it's place or does it have to be exact replacement? If it's critical that it be the thin blue gasket, where are they available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back