Doo'in the Dream is lots of work

Status
Not open for further replies.

chcoco

Multiple problems already....Recently purchased a 1999 Sea Doo GTX RFI fulfilling a 10 year dream to own one (always rode with friends). The Sea Doo key was not always giving me the normal beeps when I plugged the key to stump but sea doo still started alright. By the end of the ride the red light was coming on and sometimes gave me the maintenance message. I noticed when arriving home that there was oil in the bilge of the craft when going to flush it with clean water. Got water coming out the end of the sea doo but no oil left the bilge. Took the sea doo to the lake again 3 days ago and realized after backing the craft into the lake that I had left the drain plugs out, immediate went and got the trailer and put it back on the trailer, drained as much water as possible. I then came home and read everything I could on getting the water cleared. I took out the spark plugs and blew the water out of the engine then sprayed WD-40 into and replaced the spark plugs. Attempted to start the Sea Doo but it would not turn over. Used the shop vac and sucked every place possible and even used the blower to blow off any remaining water. At this point everything I read said to get it started asap but due to the late hour I had to wait until after work the next day. Now day 2 and the day light, I attempted to start the Sea Doo again and still would not get the 2 beeps (I did one time when attaching the key), maintenance light flashing, oily every place due to water dispersing the oil present in the bilge, pulled the what fuses I found to dry them off, removed the spark plugs and dried them off then replaced them and attempted to start the Sea Doo again but still would not start. The Sea Doo was trying really hard to start and a couple of times came close. I am on my third day of this and finally found a mechanic in my town that was willing to work on the machine but can't get it in until Tuesday. I have learned that the longer it sits the worse it gets so any help is appreciated! Sorry for the length, just trying to be detailed so hoping to get help! Sexy single mom looking for a mechanic LOL

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your problems. The RFI's can be finicky. A few things, how high was the water in the hull? Was the engine cranked and water ingested into the cylinders? If so, grounding the plugs caps and cranking the engine with the spark plugs pulled is the right thing to do. You probably should check the electrical boxes and fuses. Once all of these items have been checked, make sure you battery is fully charged and try starting it again. If you've gotten all the water out if the engine and oiled down the cylinders, it should help preserve things.

Try posting your situation in the 2-stroke PWC section of the forum. There are quite a few RFI experts here at the forum that would probably be able to help you there. Good luck.

Signed,
Sexy Married Dad

Multiple problems already....Recently purchased a 1999 Sea Doo GTX RFI fulfilling a 10 year dream to own one (always rode with friends). The Sea Doo key was not always giving me the normal beeps when I plugged the key to stump but sea doo still started alright. By the end of the ride the red light was coming on and sometimes gave me the maintenance message. I noticed when arriving home that there was oil in the bilge of the craft when going to flush it with clean water. Got water coming out the end of the sea doo but no oil left the bilge. Took the sea doo to the lake again 3 days ago and realized after backing the craft into the lake that I had left the drain plugs out, immediate went and got the trailer and put it back on the trailer, drained as much water as possible. I then came home and read everything I could on getting the water cleared. I took out the spark plugs and blew the water out of the engine then sprayed WD-40 into and replaced the spark plugs. Attempted to start the Sea Doo but it would not turn over. Used the shop vac and sucked every place possible and even used the blower to blow off any remaining water. At this point everything I read said to get it started asap but due to the late hour I had to wait until after work the next day. Now day 2 and the day light, I attempted to start the Sea Doo again and still would not get the 2 beeps (I did one time when attaching the key), maintenance light flashing, oily every place due to water dispersing the oil present in the bilge, pulled the what fuses I found to dry them off, removed the spark plugs and dried them off then replaced them and attempted to start the Sea Doo again but still would not start. The Sea Doo was trying really hard to start and a couple of times came close. I am on my third day of this and finally found a mechanic in my town that was willing to work on the machine but can't get it in until Tuesday. I have learned that the longer it sits the worse it gets so any help is appreciated! Sorry for the length, just trying to be detailed so hoping to get help! Sexy single mom looking for a mechanic LOL

Welcome to the forum.
Photos would help......not of the ski but of you :) :) ...... sorry

Yes the quicker you get the water out of the cylinders the better.
I'm surprised that the motor got water in it so fast considering you pulled the ski out of the water ASAP.

signed "dirty" old married guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back