Dont be afraid of a little oxidation on your paint!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmocken

This is my 98 GSX Limited before I started to work on the oxidation/faded paint:
18.jpg

You can see where a logo or graphic sat in the sun
19.jpg

I used 3m super duty rubbing compound and a terry cloth towel to start working on it and this was after only a few minutes of working in circles.
20.jpg

After 2nd run through with the 3m Super Duty rubbing compound:
21.jpg

Finally waxed with new hull numbers
22.jpg

A little elbow grease and it shined right up, so dont be afraid of a little oxidation!
23.jpg

Wow looks great...can you see where the old hull #s were at all, being as they are different font?
Would love to take all the larger sticker off mine but they have been in and out of the sun for 10 Yrs so I'm afraid you would always see where they were..

Wow looks great...can you see where the old hull #s were at all, being as they are different font?
Would love to take all the larger sticker off mine but they have been in and out of the sun for 10 Yrs so I'm afraid you would always see where they were..

I used Xylene and have used Acetone to get stickers off before and it takes them off and evaporates fast. I was told not to use the Super Duty 3m with a buffer because of how aggressive it is and it might leave swirl marks. This sat in the sun for a long time and baked before I got it.

I used Xylene and have used Acetone to get stickers off before and it takes them off and evaporates fast. I was told not to use the Super Duty 3m with a buffer because of how aggressive it is and it might leave swirl marks. This sat in the sun for a long time and baked before I got it.

The wax helps. 3M super duty was meant for a rotary buffer... but it looks like it worked ok by hand. You can get a high gloss without the wax if you use a buffer.

Almost forgot.... Looks great.

Your GSX looks great. Another tip is always start a polish job by hand. If a little of the color comes off on your cloth, don't use a buffer. There is a chance of burning through the paint.
:cheers:
Ernest

Your GSX looks great. Another tip is always start a polish job by hand. If a little of the color comes off on your cloth, don't use a buffer. There is a chance of burning through the paint.
:cheers:
Ernest

That's good advice... but with a seadoo... you have a 1/16" of hard colored resin to buff on.

You cant see the old numbers just make sure after you remove the old numbers to use the rubbing compound before you put the new numbers on.

gel

wow. looks great. i plan to buy a buffer this spring. I borrowed one, but he took it back :(

why are they $40 at harbor freight?! seems expensive for a spinning disc! all I've ever seen are 7" ones as well, do they make smaller ones for jet skis?

I bought a small hand buffer at Walmart, about $18.00, Turtle Wax brand, it works great, just the right size for a PWC. About a 5" bonnet.

Lou

Good Job!! Looks Sweet!! Agreed with poster that said red fades the worst, I've got a bit of red on my rig and have to buff/wax about once a year to keep it lookin' good. Your ski turned out really nice great job!

Cheers!

thats what i bought from walmart and works ok, not good for very small areas like the edges of the boat that curve. but i do those by hand and it mostly blend together.

I'll go over lunch today maybe take a look. thanks.

and the title should be 'gelcote' it's not paint...

http://www.google.com/products/cata...TuOwDtCutwf1qvzVBw&ved=0CEcQ8wIwAA#scoring=tp

that's the product... is it easy to get 6" pads? of course 6" isn't all that much smaller than the normal 7" where everyone has pads / things for...

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-compact-palm-polisher-90219.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/polishers/7-inch-variable-speed-polisher-sander-92623.html

almost everything is setup for the 7"... and you can hold it a lot easier...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back