Do you think my Sea-Doo is Hydrolocked? Or..?

Long story short, I drove my jet ski out on the lake, immediately I had performance loss and could not get it over 50MPH. Initially I thought it was bad gas, but after an hour I decided to take it out of the water. Turns out I’m pretty sure I have an intercooler leak. A few days later I try to start the ski in my driveway, but now the engine wont turn over and “limp home mode” displays and it just shuts off. How screwed am I?

What year and model? Did you try changing spark plugs? Why do you think you have an intercooler leak? What codes do you have? What do the spark plugs look like? Does it turn over without the plugs in?

We really need more info to be able to give any real help.

What year and model? Did you try changing spark plugs? Why do you think you have an intercooler leak? What codes do you have? What do the spark plugs look like? Does it turn over without the plugs in?

We really need more info to be able to give any real help.
2012 Seadoo RXT-X 260.
I have not tried changing the spark plugs, nor did I remove them. I think it’s a intercooler leak because all the symptoms I experienced on the lake pointed to that, plus when I removed the hose from the throttle body that’s connected to my intercooler I saw some water in it, plus I have milky oil which is a sign water got in my oil. My coolant level has not moved leading me to believe it’s not a head gasket blow out. Should I try turning it over with the spark plugs removed?

Also, no codes appear, just “limp home mode”. I tried pushing the MODE button to look for codes but nothing showed up

TIA

If it's in limp mode, there will be codes. You have to scroll through the menus while it's in limp mode and there will a new menu called fault codes.

Yes, you can remove the spark plugs and crank it over.

Hey ski-d00, just following up and making a note of what happened so you and future people that come across this thread can get some insight.
I pulled the three spark plugs, turned on the ski, and immediately tons of water came out of the cylinder closest to the intercooler. the middle cylinder had a little bit of water, and the furthest cylinder had no water come out. I did this a few times to get the water out, as well as used a long metal nozzle hose attachment connected to my air compressor to stick into the cylinder and get more water out. eventually, no more water came out and I could smell gas and see some gas vapors. I then put the spark plugs back in and the ski started right up (it sounded so good to hear that), but tons of water came gushing out of the hose that I disconnected from the throttle body that's connected to the intercooler so I hurried up and shut off the ski.

My replacement intercooler arrives tomorrow. Unfortunately, I could not find any new replacements so I had to buy a used one from eBay. I thought about buying a Riva intercooler, but I already have spent almost 10k into this ski in the last month, so no, I'm done spending money.

Now my last objective is to do (and do further research before) multiple oil changes so I can get all of the water out of the oil. I heard of the boiling method but don't really want to chance burning up anything, so I'll just use cheap oil to get out the water out, then I'll be able to get the ski on the water Saturday to get it moving again.

Sorry for writing so much, but I wanted to provide as much information as I could to anyone else that comes across this issue (plus I'm a very fast typer). It's just been stressful. I paid 8.2k for this ski and the intercooler failed my the third time out on the lake (I thought it was the head gasket at first).

Anyways, thanks again.

-Northern Seadoo Guy

Back