Desperately need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvcsmkr

1998 Sportster 1800 w/twin 720's

Heres the story:
Boat was neglected, First time on water drove for over an hour, starboard motor shut off on me. Tried to start back up and no go.

Took it back on water a week later, after 30 min starboard motor shut off and didnt want to start back up.

So took to local mechanic, Cylinder and piston had scoring, top end rebuild was done, oil pumps removed, all water jackets cleaned.

We were thinking it was a combination of lack of oil & overheating.

After all of that, drove on a lake for 15 minutes, same deal starboard motor quit. Let it cool down for 10 minutes, then it will fire up, and die again after a few minutes.

Spark is there, it is now premix at 32:1.

Motor is warm but not hot, Used a infared gauge, top of head did not go over 100*, same for exhaust manifold, warm but wont burn your hand.

Waterever it is, its intermittent.

Fuel pump?
Carb?

Also, the buzzer is not working. I can jump 12v and it will beep loud, but plugged into the harness, the beep is very weak, i verified its getting 12v.

I am open to any idea's right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read here about the fuel lines, steel gas can trash, fuel filters and the tiny baskets in the carb inlets, any combination of these things will produce the symptoms you describe and if neglegted will destroy your new top end from the resulting lean condition - when you get this fixed then you will be smoking like crazy in the no-wake zone and want to get the factory oiling working again so you do not have to change plugs all the time from the oil fouling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back