Crazy Long-Distance SeaDoo Question

Does anyone use Seadoos for long-distances? I read in the specs my 1997 can run for 1 hour and 8 minutes and that the cruising speed was about 50 mph. So assuming 50 miles in one hour, but you could carry extra fuel on board. Maybe.

Are there distance records set with Seadoos? Clubs where people go 'touring" like motorcyclists do.

Crazy Part:

I want to ride my SeaDoo from Key West to Cuba (90 miles). Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Has anyone talked about it?

I often take a ride down the rivers, to "The Point" in Pittsburgh. My normal ride would be around 50 miles... and I normally take a Polaris Genesis. It's a big hull, and has a big tank.

With that said... I had a buddy who used my '96 XP to make that ride with us... and I carried a fuel can because I figured it wouldn't make it. Well... I'm happy to say... it did. (but just)

If you try to run 50 mph the entire time... you will beat yourself, and you may find it drinks fuel faster that expected. I would recommend running around 30 mph. you will get your best range.

Last edited by a moderator:
my brother in law served on a sub in the late 90s early 00s and they were called in to rescue 2 guys that were attempting to go from so cal to hawaii on seadoo GTXs. They were both pulling trailers with 100 gallons of fuel and had arranged 2 refill stops with some big ships. They made it about 800 miles before having engine trouble and severe sun burns. They were out of range of land based aircraft so they called in his sub (USS Greenville) to rescue them. They cut the seadoos loose and the 2 guys had to remain on board until the end of their cruise, about 45 days. He told me they had them working as janitors/waiters/cooks for that duration and they absolutely loved it.

bimini is a very common choice, not my cup-o-tea because I have a healthy respect for the dangers of small watercraft and open water, no thanks.

most of my rides around around 60 miles round trip, the longest i've ever done was 112 miles round trip, that was a long day and I'll likely not do it again.

IMO absolutely NO two strokes should attempt to make a long distance open water run, find a nice long river instead and plan on filling up.

bimini is a very common choice, not my cup-o-tea because I have a healthy respect for the dangers of small watercraft and open water, no thanks.

most of my rides around around 60 miles round trip, the longest i've ever done was 112 miles round trip, that was a long day and I'll likely not do it again.

IMO absolutely NO two strokes should attempt to make a long distance open water run, find a nice long river instead and plan on filling up.

why no 2 strokes?

Back