Crankshaft Timing Gear

cablecarusa

From my limited research, I believe I may be getting a new/used crank. 2002 GTX 4TEC 1503 155HP.

After polishing the journals of the crankshaft, thinking I was getting away with a motor refresh, I saw a timing gear tooth missing. At first, I was thinking, pull it off and get a new one. After noting there was no key in place and from a small amount of research, I believe it is a press fit and the gear is not available new.
Is there something I am missing and also, are there any suggestions anyone can help with. Thanks in advance, and yes, this is my first foray into a PWC

The timing chain gear is pressed on the crankshaft with a pretty substantial interference. I have replaced them but it is not simple to do. They can be cut off or pressed off with a very large machine shop press. To put the gear back on, it requires heating of the gear to about 800 degrees and then putting on in the proper location and you will only have a few seconds. The interference is around 0.004" which is a lot.

The timing chain gear is pressed on the crankshaft with a pretty substantial interference. I have replaced them but it is not simple to do. They can be cut off or pressed off with a very large machine shop press. To put the gear back on, it requires heating of the gear to about 800 degrees and then putting on in the proper location and you will only have a few seconds. The interference is around 0.004" which is a lot.
Much appreciated, knowing the interference really helps. I am currently debating myself the gear replacement versus crank replacement. I know my journals are good, so I am leaning towards the gear R&R. Its good to have friends with the right equipment. He's pushing the R&R.

Back