Crack in Oil Tank Best Fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad_GSX

I’m continuing to go through my 2000 GSX RFI and while I was cleaning the oil tank I found this crack. What’s the best fix. I read others had success melting/welding the plastic. I also read that epoxy or fiberglass may work. I’d be curious to know what others suggest as the best fix. I’d rather not replace it as I alway prefer a fix when possible. Here’s a pic of the crack.
0E6979D7-E930-4DD1-AA7F-A25ACE16900E.jpeg

I've always repaired cracks with a flat tip in a soldering iron. You could also try dripping melted HDPE plastic onto the crack/split (use thin slivers of a milk jug as your feed stock). A small propane/butane torch or even a cigarette lighter could be pressed into service.

I used so many things/methods,,,lol,,,not sure which one worked,,,I started with a flat soldering gun,,,then melted white pvc into the groove,,(that was on a tube video), ,I think that in the end,,,what solved all my cracks,,,there were many on the seems,(most on the gas tank side), ,,plus this cross seem crack...was liquid 2 part epoxy....
If I was to do it again...I would use the flat blade soldering tip first,,,and then the liquid epoxy.
Things that I learned, only use 1 support strap (the middle one,,,that tank is not going anywhere), when you reattach the tank after you are done, I firmly believe the pressure from the 3 straps bends the tank,,,since it doesn't use the softer plastic of earlier tanks,
I extracted the oil, and plugged the drain fitting,,,I left the oil sender in it, then using a compressed air gun, with a rag around it to stuff the hole of the filler hole, I would gently force air into the tank so that it would expand a bit,,,you will be able to see the tank expand and then contract again. any leaks would show up with the residue oil leaking out...and marked it with a black marker,,,I would work on each leak till it passed the compressed air test,
No need to clean the tank,,,that made the job 3 times harder, trying to get all the oil out,...you will use the residue oil to find the cracks. Of course you could also put dish detergent on top of the crack as well to look for bubbles.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely try the soldering iron welding, and maybe follow it up with some epoxy. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again

Thanks for sharing that thread, Lake Sailor. Looks like a really stout fix. I ended up trying my hand at plastic welding. It came out alright. I will post pics tonight. All the leaks are gone but now I want to reinforce the areas for strength. I might try that special glue you mentioned.

Brad, that was one nasty crack split, glad you got it welded up. I'd be kinda scared to try that without a lot of practice :)

Well it’s not pretty, but it’s definitely sealed (verified with soapy water and pressurizing the tank) and doesn’t flex like it did before in that area. I used some black zip tie material as filler, which is giving it a darker tint in that area. I will definitely go over it with some adhesive just for good measure. I ended up doing the whole seam as well and it is now leak free. I’ll put the adhesive on the seam as well.
95724643-E329-4AFA-B022-F0DB7A6359D7.jpeg

Yeah a bunch, but it is just 1/2" wide tape. Be glad to send you 10 ft or so, but you might want to get a larger (wider) piece of fabric at the auto parts store, West Marine or someplace.

But IM me an address if you want it...

( I guess that meets site policy?)

Great repair,,beautiful...,the air pressure test, and soapy water, will verify you won't have to pull the tank again,,,and I do believe, the 3 straps don't help this situation,,,,so these days,,,I just secure the middle strap...that tank is not going anywhere.

Thank you for the encouragement! I was curious about one thing. Is there supposed to be a rubber mat or some type of buffer material between the oil tank and the gas tank? There wasn’t on my ski, and it seems like the two were rubbing together a bit in certain areas. can’t be good long-term.

It's interesting you noticed that,,,on the Tanks there are signs of rubbing,,,but the leaks are mostly around the seams,,,So,,,for the sake of softening contacts surfaces,,,I glue a soft thin material along both sides of the flat sections of the tank...just for the extra cushioning effect.
You know, you go to all that trouble to make a tested repair,,,adding a cushioning material can't hurt.

I tried to repair a leaky tank by melting PE tube onto the seam as shown in the video, and it didn't work. The tank held pressure after I "welded" it, but after I put it back in the boat (2002 GTX DI), one trip out on the water split the seams again. The bilge of the boat is a big mess of oil/water slime. I guess it doesn't hold up well to the straps holding it against the fuel tank and the constant vibrations of hitting choppy water. I ended up buying a new tank for $110.

The tank in my '02 RX DI also looks like it's on the verge of failing, too. Replacing it is going to be a chore, though, as I will have to pull the exhaust expansion pipe. That's not a repair I will soon want to repeat.

I have been convinced to add the fiberglass and epoxy over the seam in addition to the welding. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Should tackle it soon. Thanks to @Lake Sailor for sending me his spare fiberglass. Really nice of him.

Just wanted to update this thread as I finally got around to putting the gflex epoxy and fiberglass around the seam. It came out really strong and doesn’t flex at all like it did before. Thanks @Lake Sailor for the fiberglass and for the great write up on the process. I’ll let you know once I log some hours on this tank. Still waiting for the engine to come back from the builder. D32E73A4-EE4A-4D0A-BAB0-9774BC7CDA60.jpeg

I did glass all the cracks. I’ll get a pic one of these days. Tank is back in the ski but probably coming out again for some more work on the gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back