Cool riding gear?

JeremiahWGoodwin

So here's a the deal. I live in western middle Tennessee, 8 miles from the Tn river/Kentucky lake. If any of yall are from here you know it gets pretty dang warm. So, all that to say this; I was out riding my brothers spark and I've been riding it with shorts/shirt or shorts and no shirt, but this time I wore my wetsuit. I Have two and wore my thinner one. Didn't get sunburnt, lol, but I felt close to sunstroke after a long run jumping wakes and generally pushing the lil spark as hard as I could.
So I'm wanting to get a bigger ski, really wanting a 260 but $ and am wondering if there is any riding gear out there that is cooler than a regular wetsuit? I know they recommend having a full body suit, and a helmet but that just seems like I would roast! What do yall use/recommend?

Buy a UV Riding Shirt. I love mine. They are all over eBay.

112.jpg

113.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've thought about the shorty and may get one. I was getting in the water to cool off some and it did help.
The riding shirts look cool, but I've wound up with raw knees and ankles a bunch so need something like the shorty or full suit for that. I'm 135lbs so get thrown around some

In the summer board shorts, pfd, maybe gloves, maybe water shoes. I would rather be comfortable.

Lou

When I lived in Ohio a shorty was normal wear.. And I have found that I enjoy wearing gloves unless I know I will be riding on glass..

shorts, tank top, diving shoes, sunglasses with lanyard, neoprene life vest, sun screen and a bikers bandana head cover to keep the head from getting sunburned. too dang hot to wear much else. (today was 102 degrees) i don't burn too easily if i have an early tan:) I'm glad i don't live in the deep south id be afraid to dive in and relax in the water like i do here, afraid of them gators. lol

generally for me its board shorts, t-shirt and neoprene vest with a hat, sunscreen.

if its chilly or the potential exists for rain, I pack along my thin dry top.... which is something you might want to consider.

(Drytop Dry Top, Paddle Jacket)

basically its a windbreaker w/o the zipper down the middle and has velcro straps for neck/wrists, cuts the wind, protects me from the sun, has a small pocket on the sleeve for key's or money. It keeps me dry underneath in case I take a face full of water. I have three thicknesses, thin/medium/neoprene for temps ranging 80/70/60, if its 59 I usually stay home. (its florida !)

The nice part about the thin dry top is that is balls up into something not much large than a quart of oil, so you can shove it in your storage bin and still have room for a tasty sammich and drinks. Its a HUGE plus if you get caught in the rain, since rain tends to sting pretty hard at any speed over 35ish. Here's a pic of the two thin ones.

38.jpg

I've actually only needed to take the neoprene out on two occasions, once when doing a small group ride up the Swuanee with Matt Braley, and I can tell you it was below 60, a bit breeze and I was very very comfortable even when I punched it to speeds speeds in excess of 70. My daughter came along on her ski and was too "tuff" to wear the medium jacket I brought for her, well she was only tuff for about 3 miles then she stopped and pulled on the jacket and thanked me for bringing it along :)

Helmets, I never wear one, but I know a couple of dude's that do, but they can run up to about 85 top speed and honestly if my ski went that fast, i'd probably buy a helmet too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought up the subject of helmets with my Wife. She said you don't need helmets. I said " Have you seen our daughter drive?" She left a ski at 45 MPH recently as they pulled a tube. I was doing chase. she did 3 summer salts and face planted into the water. Had a pulled muscles in her neck and back.

I feel that wearing a helmet for the recreational rider is a bad idea. Too much risk of neck and spine injuries due to hitting the water and the helmet acting like a scoop.

Racing in close contact with other riders and other ski's a different story.

Lou

Back