Considering buying 2 Skis For $400 Need Some Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewstew606

I am looking at two skis with a trailer for $400. One is a 1992 Seadoo SP and the other is a 1997 Seadoo XP. Both of them ran when he took them off the water 3 years ago and now they have sat for 3 years outside. The 1992 is bone dry in the engine compartment and the 97 has standing water inside. The paint is not bad on them but the stickers are pealing back and the seats are split open.

My main question is do you think it is worth buying them? I have some engine experience and I have several friends who have a lot more than me and willing to help. I have more experience on boats but I am trying to break into the seadoo world. Is this worth it? What should be my main concerns/how much money will it cost to get them running? Time is not an issue and I love to do stuff like this. Thanks for any help you can be! These are the pictures of them.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 14
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 13
I am looking at two skis with a trailer for $400. One is a 1992 Seadoo SP and the other is a 1997 Seadoo XP. Both of them ran when he took them off the water 3 years ago and now they have sat for 3 years outside. The 1992 is bone dry in the engine compartment and the 97 has standing water inside. The paint is not bad on them but the stickers are pealing back and the seats are split open.

My main question is do you think it is worth buying them? I have some engine experience and I have several friends who have a lot more than me and willing to help. I have more experience on boats but I am trying to break into the seadoo world. Is this worth it? What should be my main concerns/how much money will it cost to get them running? Time is not an issue and I love to do stuff like this. Thanks for any help you can be! These are the pictures of them.

Wish they were closer to me, I'd buy in a heart beat. Seat can be recovered for about $70. Good clean up and wax job. Will need new gas/oil. Check compression, great is 150, if its between 130-150 you're good. see if they fire up. Probably need new batteries, $80 each for good agm batteries. Take a battery with you. Pull plugs, see if you can turn flywheel by hand if you can't fire them up. Check to see if they both have grey fuel lines. If they do, change fuel lines, you can buy at parts store. Probably will have to rebuild carbs or at lest clean the micro filter in them. If they fire up, see if you can test them on water, that will tell you allot. Trailer is worth $400 by itself.

They look neglected buy could clean up real well. I'm sure others will chime in. I'd buy them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's definitely worth the money especially with a double trailer. The question is how much are you willing to spend to fix them up.

To tell you the truth I'm not real excited about the 92SP so lets talk about the 97XP. There are a few questions that I would ask the previous owner. When the skis were put up were they winterized first? If not you may not have a rebuildable core. If you have a rebuildable core a new rebuilt motor will be about $1000-1200, plus rebuild carbs, new starter, etc. maybe another $400-500, plus you might be looking a replacing gauges, electronics, mpem, rebuild the pump, so worst case you could be looking at spending around $2000.00. This is assuming you can do the work yourself.

I not meaning to spread doom and gloom I'm just giving you the worst case. The good news you will have a like new ski.

The other option is to part them out, there is money to be made parting them out if you are willing to do the work dis-assembling the skis advertising and selling the parts. The trailer itself should be worth $300-400.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back