compression question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh42575

got a gtx this weekend. compression is 110 on front and 145 on back. obvious rebuild but im concidering waiting for a season or two. what reliability issues should i expect? thanks
Josh

Compression?....

Hola y Bienvenidos al foro De-mar-Doo. ¡Alegre de tenerle aquí como un nuevo miembro!

The 145 psi is really good. That's what you can expect. The 110, I'd double check that one a couple more times. Maybe run the engine, warm is up a bit, then shut it down and check it again. If you have a ring that might be sticking, you may try a cap full of Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinder, let it sit over night and the next day, roll the engine over to blow out the oil and try a compression test then.
How do your rave valves look? They should be cleaned yearly. If it's been a while, you can tell what how the engine has been treated by the carbon build up on the guillitone valves. If your not familar with the RAVE valves, there are several post in the forum that refer to them and their cleaning.
If the compression doesn't get better, it may be that the jug is scored from something that got into the piston. Normally, both pistons wear the same, so the compression should fall off fairly evenly. Sea-Doo doesn't recommend an engine overhaul until the comression falls below 100 psi, so for me, I'd ride a summer or two and just keep a check on the compression.
One more thing. If your still using oil injection, make sure the oil line going to the bottom side of the rotary plate is providing oil to that piston. Losing oil from a clogged injector may cause the lower pressure and will at some point, cause it to go flat or seize up on you.
Welcome to the Seadoo Forum....

Last edited by a moderator:
rave looked ok. the first thing wa a compression test. when it didnt check out i cleanded the raves next. still the same. i havent pulled the head cover yet, but, thats the next thing on the list... im trying to save an expense for another time but i dont want to get stuck floating downstream on the illinois river...that would suck.. thanks, man
as always, excellent input!

I agree with seadoo snipe, but you might get away with just a quick hone and replace the rings. For the price of a head gasket it will allow you to peek in on the cylinder walls. It might be better to replace the rings now than get stuck later.
Karl

agreed! i got it for a steal even with a bad cylinder but i bought it a a gift for my father. incredibly clean. ill probably do a cylinder exchange from sbt providing this doesnt work itself out. thanks............

That's a good Idea to do a swap rather than doing a re-bore and dealing with tuning problems later.

This is a good try!...

I totally agree with Karl.....:agree:.....When you pop off the head, you'll need to get another set of rubber "O" ring type gaskets, one for the cylinder and one for the head to water jacket.
If you pop it off, give us a shout back and we'll get you the torque specs on those head bolts.........:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back