Cold Water Stories to Warm our Harts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkarl

Premium Member
Premium Member
Ok, so us southern Guy's and Gals are still enjoying our water craft, not to rub it in or anything...but lets hear about some northern folks that won't give up for the winter season just yet...Pics would be super with a little snow flurrie action, or maybe snow banks along the water's edge would be cool..uh no pun intended.

Oh man, come on, you can't tell me there isn't a single person like me that didn't dump their water craft in the water after the first major snowfall!
Karl

I'm from upstate N.Y. originally...till 12 years ago.

Our water is down to 55 or so, my 65 year old father and I put on wetsuits and just hit it.

By the way, he fell off for the first time on Saturday. I told him last fall "you better practice falling off and getting back on, it is not as easy as it looks." He said "I don't plan on falling off." He is a smart alec...

Anyway, he dumped it going over a wave sideways, and I spent about 10 minutes watching him try and fail to get on over and over.

I had to jog 1/2 mile down the beach and swim out about 300 yards just to hold the ski steady while he got on. Then he zooms off and I get to swim BACK to shore and walk back to the trailer.

Our ski needs a new wear ring, and cannot get going too well with our combined 450 lbs...otherwise I would have hopped on and rode back.

Well Karl my cold water stunts are over.

Ive done that and suffered for days doing it.
It really takes it out of you and when your getting on in life its a daft thing to do.
I thought I was fit and healthy! But not fit enough to take a beating in the North Sea on a weekend.
The dry suit is fine, so are the big waves we get out there.
But hitting the cold water in strong curents near the shore takes alot of work to get you back up on the seat.

schit!!!!!! maybe Ive gone abit soft, in my old age.:(

I just got my skis a couple weeks ago and the water temp ive been told is in the high 50s low 60s and the day after i got them we put them in the water no wet suit just a pair of shorts and it was all good right up until i got a little too cocky and it pitched me about 30 feet. then it was a little cold but not near as cold as the ride back to the trailer it was about 60 degrees outside

We took our ski out at the end of the season this past year. It was time to do the 10 hour maintenance, so we figured we would give it the maintenace and the winterization at the same time.

It has been tough this winter on the cold nothern winter days thinking about the warm waters! This week has had sub-zero windchill - i been doing ALOT of thinking about the jetski!

When we brought the ski in to get all the work done, we second guessed ourselves, and only had the winterization done. The economy here wasnt going so well, so we figured we would offset the maintenance expense a few months and hoped the economy got better. Well, it got worse, and my wife lost her job :( So now, with spring coming at me, we still need to get the 10 hour routine maintenace done BEFORE we can take it out on the lakes.

Just makes the cold winter harder when you want to be on the siki in the warm lakes :D I am having major withdrawals!

The weather is cold in Michigan, But the ground hog saw his shadow so spring is just around the corner with a better economy.
Karl

Service!

I see your RXT is a 2005 model. Is it still under warranty? If there’s no penalty in doing it yourself, why not save a couple extra bucks. Most of the ten hour service is inspections.
Here is a list of things that have to be done for the 10 hour service.
1. Change the engine oil and filter, including the “O” rings.
2. Inspect the supports and rubber mounts, seals and fasteners and the exhaust systems fasteners.
3. On the cooling system, inspect the hose and fasteners, check the coolant level.
4. On the fuel system, the engine management sensors need to be inspected. (you may need this done at the shop, but there just looking to make sure there is no broken wires or sensor clips).
5. Inspect all fuel rails, fuel lines, connections, pressure relief valve. (again, this may be done at the shop).
6. Inspect the fuel tank straps.
7. On the air intake system, inspect the throttle body.
8. Inspect the air silencer, make sure there’s a good fit and it’s tight.
9. Inspect your electrical system. Here, you’ll want to go over every wire you can see. Check the connections for corrosion, make sure no wires are broken. Look over the ignition wires and spark plugs. Clean your DESS lanyard with warm soapy water and let it air dry. Check your battery for proper cleanliness and make sure the connections are tight.
10. Look at your steering and shifter cable. Inspect it for any wire strands that have separated. Lubricate and adjust as needed.
11. Inspect and adjust the O.P.A.S. system as needed.
12. Inspect and adjust your VTS system as needed.
13. Inspect your ride plate and cooling system. Look at your drive system and your thru hull fittings.
14. Check your bailer pickup tubes. Make sure they are in place for proper operation.

That’s about all that’s done. If you read it all, there really isn’t that much to do with the 10 hour service. The 25 hour and 50 hour is even easier than that. But the 100 hour service, that gets a bit involved. You’ve got to test and replace a lot of stuff.
I hope I have helped you save a few bucks!...With the economy like it is, I’m just praying gas doesn’t go up to much come spring. I can’t afford $3.50 a gallon to go play!........:cheers:

Our ski is a 2005, but it was bought new at the end of the season last year - got a nice price for it too - i think anyway lol. So it does still have the original warranty on it, we also bought the bambadier extended warranty for an extra 3 years. We dont plan on trading up or getting rid of it for something else anytime soon, so we wanted to protect it (and our wallets) for as long as possible.

I could be wrong, but i thought we were told that if it wasnt serviced by our factory dealership, or some other qualified individual, we would lose the warranty. I am not positive of that, its just what i thought i was told.

Also, when i turned it in for the winter, i remember the display noting that it needed its 10 hour service ... I do not know how to re-set that correctly.

I am ALL for saving money on the service (so i can go out and spend it all on gas) but i really dont want to take a chance on voiding my warranty! being this is my first jetski - heck before i bought it, i had never even rode on one before! But i think, for this maintenance cycle, i may just let the pros do it. As i learn more about the ski, and learn more about how the warranty works with what i can and cant do myself - i will start doing more myself. I just need to find the money lol

I watched some video's posted in the Video section yesterday -- i really want to go for a ride!!!!!!!

There is nothing wrong having the dealer service you Seadoo if you not to confident about doing your own service. I would ask the dealer if you can perform your own service and still keep your warranty intact, if that is the direction you want to follow. I asked my dealer and he understands my knowledge and told me to just document all the service I do to my 200 speedster, like receipts of oil, filters and "o" rings. I also installed a hour meter guage for run time for accurate service increments.
Karl

Warranty!...

Your right, that's why I asked the question. Being it was a 2005, I didn't know if it was still under the dealers warranty.
Most warranties are set up that way. You must have it serviced by a OEM certified mechanic to keep the warranty. If you do something yourself and it screws something up, then they'll make you liable for what ever it was that got messed up.
Stay in the forum...........as the years go by, you'll learn so much about your PWC, you'll be a pro at doing most maintenance yourself within a few short years...........:cheers:

Just by reading the manual end to end will bring most mechanically inclined up to doing there own maintenance, in a short amount of time.

simple....

I agree!:agree:If you read the manual, you'll see this engine design is such a simple engine to work on, you may want to open your own shop. That's how I did it. It all started with one 1989 Seadoo ski, the next thing i new, i was in business. Uner the table for a while, didn't want the man to konw. I wasn't paying his tax. I'm all legal now.......:rofl:

I agree!:agree:If you read the manual, you'll see this engine design is such a simple engine to work on, you may want to open your own shop. That's how I did it. It all started with one 1989 Seadoo ski, the next thing i new, i was in business. Uner the table for a while, didn't want the man to konw. I wasn't paying his tax. I'm all legal now.......:rofl:

yec yec yec...you sound like half of the building contractors here in Florida...except they get a deposit and leave...lol

Are you being funny?

I don't know if your making a joke or telling me I rip people off. My business is a good business. It happened completly by mistake. I was a machinist by trade and worked hard. There are probably thousands of people up here who ride PWC's and not many who work on them.
I do pretty well for myself. The remark about keeping it all under the table was because, I didn't know it was gonna become a bonafied business. Now I make twice that of what I made when I was a machinist.

Yec Yec Yec means big Funny!

Yes, I am being completely funny. Here in Florida the business ethics are very poor! I started in my business the same as you. When I started doing custom vehicle work for car dealers, I worked out of the back of my blazer installing sunroffs...it took off and I went legit. Here general contractors need 2 yrs of college or work for 3 yrs for a general contractor before they can get a license, due to the huge scams going on...getting deposits and leaving the state. You have to check everyone! Even the grass cutter has to be checked to see if he has insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, sorry then..

Oh, then I'm sorry for thinking other wise. I've read a lot of your post. You seem to be one of the smartest people in here helping others with their problem. You've even taught this old dog a new trick or two already. I've been working on seadoo's yamahas and hondas for quite some time now and you seem to really now your stuff!....
good going

Thank You...

Oh, then I'm sorry for thinking other wise. I've read a lot of your post. You seem to be one of the smartest people in here helping others with their problem. You've even taught this old dog a new trick or two already. I've been working on seadoo's yamahas and hondas for quite some time now and you seem to really now your stuff!....
good going

Thank you for the compliment. I try to be humorous as much as I can to make it enjoyable in the forum. Sometimes too much info can confuse most, or not enough can loose someone's attention. My humor isn't mean EVER. I make more fun of myself to make things light. Different people from all over the world make this place a great place to be! :cheers:
Karl

Court Jester....

He's the forums court Jester.......he always finds a way to make the info in his posts humorous so as to not loose the attention of the one looking for answers. Seems to work well too. He keeps them coming back and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back