Chip in the finish... fix it myself or get a professional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael211_2000

Hi guys! My 2006 RXT has 1 chip in the upper part of the hull where it got banged into a concrete bulkhead by a passing boat's wake.... the chip goes to the fiberglass, but the glass is solid (ie. it didn't damage the fiberglass itself, just chipped the gelcoat down to the fiber).

With my area's boating season starting any week now (temps are getting NICE outside!), should I try repairing this chip myself or get a profesional with experience (perhaps even a Stealership?) to fix it? The gelcoat on this year model is black, btw... this Doo looks picture perfect if not for this 1 chip right above the boat numbers on the bow. Ughhh!

ps. Any idea what kind of price range to expect if I went with a pro? The chip is about the size of a quarter. :-(

Thanks!

- Michael

Hi guys! My 2006 RXT has 1 chip in the upper part of the hull where it got banged into a concrete bulkhead by a passing boat's wake.... the chip goes to the fiberglass, but the glass is solid (ie. it didn't damage the fiberglass itself, just chipped the gelcoat down to the fiber).

With my area's boating season starting any week now (temps are getting NICE outside!), should I try repairing this chip myself or get a profesional with experience (perhaps even a Stealership?) to fix it? The gelcoat on this year model is black, btw... this Doo looks picture perfect if not for this 1 chip right above the boat numbers on the bow. Ughhh!

ps. Any idea what kind of price range to expect if I went with a pro? The chip is about the size of a quarter. :-(

Thanks!

- Michael

Michael,

Order the gelcoat from gelcoat.ca. It matches pretty darn good. I seen a guy do this on a 06 rxp and I was shocked at how easy it was. Go to youtube and check out the videos. The kit is like 45.00+ shipping.

It is a very easy fix. I have fixed some really big spots on my boat and you cant tell they were ever there. Gelcote is the OEM supplier to BRP. as mentioned, their site is gelcoat.ca They will sell you the factory matched colors. They have a repair kit that will run you like 50 bucks after shipping. Watch the videos on youtube. You can have it done in a couple hours. Just take your time and dont put too much on or you will be sanding all day.

I have a scratch on mine too, and I just checked out there site. 34.00 for the kit...Im going to order some pretty soon.

They are in Canada, so shipping to the States is a little high. You could also try Spectrum Color. There web site currently does not allow you to order through it (call them), but they are in the States, their kit is $23.99, and shipping should be less. I have seen numerous posts backing their product, too. All said you could not tell where the repair was (they have factory matched kits).

I am actually ordering a kit myself today from them. I was gonna go with Gelcote Inc. but their kit is $35 plus they want $25 to ship to my location. Kind of expensive for 2 oz. of gelcoat and some hardener.

They are in Canada, so shipping to the States is a little high. You could also try Spectrum Color. There web site currently does not allow you to order through it (call them), but they are in the States, their kit is $23.99, and shipping should be less. I have seen numerous posts backing their product, too. All said you could not tell where the repair was (they have factory matched kits).

I am actually ordering a kit myself today from them. I was gonna go with Gelcote Inc. but their kit is $35 plus they want $25 to ship to my location. Kind of expensive for 2 oz. of gelcoat and some hardener.

thank you for the info. I just placed an order for my 2006 black rxp. They do not have the 2008 RXPX silver metallic though. Since I am in fl and they will ship from fl it was 36.00 shipped for a kit. Not bad and thanks ofr the information.

Is there a specific YouTube video ya'll are referring to? I searched and found lots of videos on repairing cracked bathtubs... lol!

I can honestly say, I just have fear of the unknown.... fear of messing it up or not doing a good job and messin up my hull. Any good instructional websites or videos, I'd sure appreciate a link to them!!!

Thanks ya'll!

- Michael

I saw that video this morning, actually. Wasn't sure if there was a Seadoo or PWC specific video that was being referred to. Thanks though. :-)

- Michael

I saw that video this morning, actually. Wasn't sure if there was a Seadoo or PWC specific video that was being referred to. Thanks though. :-)

- Michael

I already got my kit for the 2006 RXP. Man one day to get it..lol. It is the same way as the video. The trick is to finish up with 1500-2000 grit wet dry sandpaper and use finese it. fines it is 2000 grit rubbing compound for boats. When that is done use any carnuba wax and you are on your way...

Better than 203 days! LOL!

So you used it already on your 2006 RXP?

ps. What other tools do I need to use this kit? I have a rubber 3M sanding block and an electric buffer.... anything else I need to get besides wet/dry sandpaper? Thanks!!!

- Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
I mixed it up in a glass baby food jar. Then use a small paintbrush to apply it. You can get em at the hobby store or wal mart for a few bucks. Then apply it. I then used a piece of wax paper o the area and smoothed it out with a credit card. come back 2 hours later and peel the wax paper off. I used one of the drywall sanding blocks to knock it all down flat but i put way too much on to begin with. After it was flat and looked good I used 1000 grit paper first, then 1500 and finally finished with 2000. Buffed it out by hand and waxed the area. Looked brand new when done.

Well that doesn't sound too difficult then... I guess I'm game. I presume you wet-sanded it with 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper correct? Sounds like repairing gelcoat is nothing like trying to repair a chip in automotive paint (which involves masking, spraying paint and blending the new paint into the old paint, machine buffing etc. etc.).

Thanks!

- Michael

I did tape off the area with blue 2" tape. Forgot that step. I wet sanded with the 1000, 1500 then 2000. It really is easy. With gel cote, what you see is what you get as far as finish. It dried exactly the same as it looks when you mix it up. No blending required. Since you are usually putting it on something that has been out in the sun, the color may be slightly off initially, but once you go out a few times it looks the same.

I am also really clumsy and not very good at doing tedious type jobs, so most people can do this.lol I repaired a spot that was about 1/2 inch wide and 10" long where some goof smashed into me. It looks brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back