Check engine light flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott1992

The check engine light has flashed on and i pulled a P0116 fault code. That is the engine temp sensor faulty. could this be a problem with the waterpump or thermostat. I am going to test the resistance on the sensor tonight and pull out with harness hooked to sensor and heat up with heat gun to see if it throws the same code. any input on this??

thanks

My 2004 GTX is throwing a check engine code followed by sensor. Engine starts but shuts right off until I let it sit 15 minutes then starts up and runs fine again. How did you pull the code?

When the check engine light is flashing before pulling off the lanyard. Push the set button 5 times and it will display a "P####" code then hit mode to scroll through the codes if there is more than one code. It will display "END" when there are no more codes to display. If you pull the lanyard it will clear the codes and you will have to get the check engine light to flash again before it will give another code.

I checked the resistance on the engine temp sensor when installed at about 68-70 degrees and it was off by a couple hundred ohms. then i pulled it out and heated it up. when it got hotter the ohms resistance were up to 500 ohms off. I read in the manual a little farther and it said if i pulled it out and heated it up when hooked to the harness and the lanyard on it would not throw a code as i talked about before. However i checked resistance at different temperatures and it was off. so now i have ordered the sensor to install. hope it fixes the problem. Vacation coming in a couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back