Charge Batts while Towing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tresvatos1

I had this awful thing happen to me last time i took my Speedster out. I have TWO Optima Blues installed in my Speedster, that had been sitting in backyard around two weeks with NO charger because there is NO Pwr. outlet nearby. . Well, i get a surprise request from two girls to go out on water Labor Day, and left home with NO prior Batt charging. SO, yeah it happened, got to lake and click, click, click. no start. I did a quick move so as not to ruin the day. Pulled boat/truck up ramp to parking spot, chocked boat wheels, and unhitched, pulled parallel to boat engine compartment, popped truck hood and UNHOOKED ALL the truck cables, so as NOT TO RUIN SPEEDSTER MPEM or ECU , then jumpercabled the truck OPtima ( yellow) to the boat main Optima( Blue ). Then cranked boat out of water for about 30 sec., then cool sev. minutes, then 30 sec., just to let magneto charge batt. enough to get a start in water. took off jumpercables, Then hooked engine etc. cables on truck back to the truck (yellow ) batt. then re -hitched boat & truck then Launched the boat and had a blast rest of day!

Anyway I need to find a reliable way to charge Batts on Sea-Doo while in route to the Lake. I see where several companies have commercial available RIGS for bass boats, but just wondering if anyone here has givin any thought to this, as this is a problem that we could all potentially face. Some people had even suggested having their bass Boat batts. charge off of the vehicles alternator via a long 8 ga. cable while on the road, then others have said better to have vehicle supply an DC to AC inverter, then secure an extension cord to a regular Battery Charger mounted, or placed in the boat while it is being towed.

Think this is surely a project we can all take interest in though, so just looking at some input and options.. Thanks!

better yet, why not just put a dual battery switch, so that you can turn off the power when you trailer it, and then just use one battery as needed when your riding?

had same problem with an old mustang that had some batt sucking gremlins, so i bought 2 solar panels off Amazon that would trickle charge the car and never had a dead batt since. if my boat wasn't in storage unit i would do the same for my boat

edit I got them from amazon not ebay

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I've got solar panels, but I am looking for a sure fire way to have my dual batts charged up good by the time I get to the water. That is time that the boat and vehicle are together, so why not use this time to INSURE that the batteries are well topped off. The way my dual batts work is that the main has to be charged up to 12.4 V before the smart switch kicks over and starts charging the Second( aux) battery.
I usually jump the two together to form a parallel circuit when charging at home though.

My car trailer has a battery for the break away. This charges off the 7 pin connecter. So, you could ditch the flat 4 plug, and wire in a 7 pin truck side and trailer side. Run a lead to a fused lead off your battery, run a ground at the back of the truck to the connector, then just run two wires of the connector trailer side into the engine compartment and use a battery tender style connector to terminate.

And you always gotta be ready for the booty calls, lol.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back