Changed Driveshaft and Carbon Seal and now I’m taking on a lot of water

#Brandon

2011 GTX 215 -
So my old driveshaft and impeller were stripped out so I decided to install new ones. Well I found a great deal on a used shaft but it did have a little pitting on the shaft were the two O rings sit in the hat collar. Got a new carbon seal kit and swapped it out. Everything seemed fine but when I took it to the ramp I opened the seat and immediately noticed water was coming in down by the carbon seal. The carbon seal itself seemed water tight…the water seemed to be coming from closer to where shaft goes into the motor but it was really hard to tell. My question is if the used shaft has pitting on it could that create a non water tight seal that could be making me take on this much water. Or could it be something completely seperate? It didn’t take on any water before I did the shaft swap with the new(used one).

Here are a few pics to see the pitting, also the new rubber cap at the end pretty much split after 20 minutes of riding…any ideas what would cause that?

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 27
The rubber cap is a bumper to keep pto and driveshaft splines lined up, looks like it got jammed to far forward. Were there any issues with the install? The pitting would cause leakage past the collar but not sure it would cause a lot of leakage. The water would be coming from between the collar and the driveshaft forward.

The rubber cap is a bumper to keep pto and driveshaft splines lined up, looks like it got jammed to far forward. Were there any issues with the install? The pitting would cause leakage past the collar but not sure it would cause a lot of leakage. The water would be coming from between the collar and the driveshaft forward.
So there was no issues at all during the install…everything went super smooth. I agree that the pitting would cause the leakage past the collar but it was quite a bit, of water…like a small stream. I’ve ordered a new OEM shaft and I’m gonna try it again with hopefully much different results. I didn’t use a caliper to measure the two shafts so I was thinking that maybe the used one was just a hair small and that’s why the O rings didn’t help seal it…I will update once replaced

So there was no issues at all during the install…everything went super smooth. I agree that the pitting would cause the leakage past the collar but it was quite a bit, of water…like a small stream. I’ve ordered a new OEM shaft and I’m gonna try it again with hopefully much different results. I didn’t use a caliper to measure the two shafts so I was thinking that maybe the used one was just a hair small and that’s why the O rings didn’t help seal it…I will update once replaced
Any luck?

I recently put mine together and noticed while pushing the pump housing forward there was resistance pushing back.
I removed some of the grease from the socket on the impeller which the shaft fits into.
The excess grease was preventing the shaft from going into the impeller all the way.

This may cause the damage to the plastic cap on the engine end of the shaft.

Back