Challenger 230 squealing supercharger?

Sandman251

I have an issue with a 230 Challenger SE 510 HP. Boat has about 180 hours. impeccably well maintained.superchargers were rebuilt about 80 hours ago. While traveling at high idle I heard a loud squealing sound and shut down both motors. Started them both back up individually to isolate which motor it was. Limped 10 minutes to the launch on one motor. both pumps they are fine. Now the suspect motor seems to be seized. Can a failed supercharger seize the motor? thoughts on how to proceed? Thanks.

Last edited:
It's possible that your jet pump bearings are the culprit. I would pull your pump off that side to rule that out as the problem. A failing supercharger can cause problems with the engine if any pieces of the clutch fall into the engine, but it probably wouldn't cause it to seize up like that.

It's possible that your jet pump bearings are the culprit. I would pull your pump off that side to rule that out as the problem. A failing supercharger can cause problems with the engine if any pieces of the clutch fall into the engine, but it probably wouldn't cause it to seize up like that.
I pulled the pump it spins freely. Can a starter lock up the motor? It does click, when trying to start it.

I pulled the pump it spins freely. Can a starter lock up the motor? It does click, when trying to start it.

Bummer, worth a shot. The starter is clicking because something is likely seized up in the engine if it’s not your pump. I’d take the spark plugs out and try to turn it over again with the starter and by hand from the drive shaft. If you can’t get it to move either way, I’d start tearing into it starting with the supercharger. Or if course take or to a mechanic if needed. I’d make sure you can’t turn it by hand first to rule out a problem with the starter.

Back