Challenger 230 sound system

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSW

Anyone have any thoughts on upgrading the sound system in the challenger 230? I'm fancying wakeboard tower speakers, not sure whether I'd need to replace other things as well!

Not to sound indiffernt... but I hate to not see any responses on a post. it's a stereo. Buy what you want, and install it. When it comes to sound... everyone has their own opinion.

I personally hate Sony, but I know there are members here who have spent a ton of $$$ on a full explode system.

I'd go for whatever you can get for the best price at your local shop.

Hi Tony

Actually I've spoken to a company called wakeboard towers here in the uk, and they were very helpful so I'll pass on what I've been told in case it benefits anyone else:
1) the 230 challenger should handle 4 speakers without any modifications. Any more than that would require an amplifier.
2) The internal boat speakers could be uprated, or tower speakers could be added depending whether the sound is for the boat or for wakeboarders.
3) Some amplifiers support a microphone input if you need to talk to wakeboarders etc during tuition.

They recommended 4 tower speakers (twin modules) and an amp.

Thanks for the response btw

Cheers
Dave

The guys on this forum turned me onto the Polk Audio DB651 speakers and I cannot rave about them enough. I used to think Sony made good sounding speakers till I tried the Polk speakers. This is the second boat I've installed them in and aboslutely love them!!!

They can be had now-a-days online for around $55 pair.

Craig

If only there was a uk supplier. Now there's a thought!

It's good to get a feel for the range of options, - wakeboard towers idea of upgrading the sound system topped a grand before I thought about fitting it!

How much difference did it make from the stock speakers on your boat?

Cheers
Dave

How much difference?

You will say "Holy $hit" when you hear them for the first time compared to the OEM speakers.

Craig

lol well that sounds like a good recommendation!
Don't suppose you know a retailer that ships over here? Just tried crutchfield or something like that and they won't.

Dave

lol well that sounds like a good recommendation!
Don't suppose you know a retailer that ships over here? Just tried crutchfield or something like that and they won't.

Dave
ebay? people will usually ship anything if you are willing to pay for it.

good idea, think i've found some for £80 delivered, so cheaper than sony and presumably better quality.

Cheers guys

I have a Challenger 230 SE w/ Tower... I'm about to do my 3rd upgrade, although this is a fairly minor upgrade to the sound system. I live in Texas and many people at the lake beaches we hang out at have significant upgraded systems in their boats that drown you out unless you can provide significant sound output. My family and friends gave me a bit of a hard time because I'm an Audio/Video nut and knew I have gotten a killer deal on the boat.. all that being said if your budget is robust you can transform the system on the boat into audio heaven..

Pair of WetSounds PRO 485 Speakers on the Tower
10" JL Audio Subwoofer.. installed in the mid left passenger side area ( I'm either installing a second sub or upgrading to a 12" tomorrow ).. had a boston acoustics 10"
2 Alpine Digital Amps ( one 5 channel and one 4 channel ), non-marine installed in glove compartment.. no need for the marine versions as there is literally nothing different other than color and a higher price
Dedicated Marine Battery Bank ( 3 batteries )for Amp's and Stereo + Dedicated AC Charging System
Clarion IPOD Controller installer + Aux input module
Analog volume knobs for subwoofer and tower speakers
Kept stock clarion speakers, but I'm upgrading them to Alpine 7" speakers tomorrow

Jl makes tower speakers and a hell of marine speaker. Sony sucks as far as speakers in my opinion but as far as head units I have 1 and I like it. I notice not to many people have jl speakers (admit a little pricey). I have replaced my stock speakers with the direct replacement JL's with an jl amp (500)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back