Challenger 1800 '97 - reverse bucket replacement trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

funvee

On my 97 challenger 1800 I have a cracked Port side reverse bucket. I have a replacement here ready to go but there is a screw on the outside that makes no sense to me... It has a hole in the middle but nothing to put a driver or socket on. How do you remove it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tried torx, tried Allen... The bolt is round in the middle opening and had six metal tabs sticking inwards. They won't hold a torx or Allen key. They just bend.

Thanks!

I just went outside and tried mine. A T-40 bit on a socket wrench turned the bolt without bending the tabs. Maybe your's is stuck, and you bent the tabs. Would a flat head screw driver catch enough of the bent tabs to turn it?

I'll try that as soon as I get home... I know the tabs are bent on mine but I didn't know I those tabs were what is supposed to be gripping the tool.

I'll let u know how it goes in a bit.

Thanks!

Mine actually has grooves in the head itself, so I don't think the bit was grabbing the tabs. Try and see if a T-45 will fit (mine's MIA), as the 40 seemed a bit loose. If the bucket is trashed anyway, I suppose you could cut the plastic off around the head and just turn it out of the bracket with vice grips.

Yep.... that's a stripped Torx.

If you have a small rotary tool, with a cutting wheel (Like a Dremel) you can slot the top, and try a flat blade screwdriver.

Thanks guys, the T-40 worked perfect. I must have tried smaller and bigger but not that one because it came straight off. Bucket changed and on to the next project on the 1800 :)

Thanks everyone!!
Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back