Ceramic or not (pics)

Boater59

First new to PWC’s but been a lifelong DIY boater on everything including offshore twin powerboats. Picked up two 2008 Wake 215’s for song from a friend of the family in Florida, I’m in Va Beach.
Background: They haven’t been used since 2020 so first thing was empty the tanks and clean them out and replace both fuel pumps including fuel rail and cleaned injectors. Fired’em up and “idled” spot on. But one has 99 hours and the other 104. So pulled the 104 ski charger to inspect and do the rebuild. Don’t know squat as to what the infamous ceramic washers look like. Anyway here’s some pics. Shaft spins freely and the five washers look black to me (assuming those would be the ceramics.

Attachments

• IMG_8436.jpeg
    IMG_8436.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8437.jpeg
    IMG_8437.jpeg
    933.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8438.jpeg
    IMG_8438.jpeg
    904.6 KB · Views: 5
The 5 washers are the spring washers and they are steel. The 2 ceramic washers are on either side of the gear. Those do look like they are ceramic. You can remove them and hit them with a hammer and watch them shatter. Some 2008 skis have ceramic washers and some don't as it was a mid year change. The good news is that you caught them before they broke so a simple rebuild and you will be good to go.

Ok I’m gonna think out loud with some observations and thoughts:
Well after some perusing various posts I think I’ve mis identified what I thought were the possible ceramic washers/s when in they are the slip washers (5 of them). I now “think” the alleged washers are the ones on either side of the sprocket or gear? So is there a visual indicator to look for such as color or texture to tell if this has the metal or ceramics? Visually as seen in the above pics all the washers and gear looks pretty darn good with a smooth rotation of the shaft.
Also I noticed the one bearing I can see appears to be open on the one side facing outward towards the gear where I can actually see the balls inside. Are the new bearings in the new kits the same, or are they somewhat enclosed both sides like most bearings on other things? Must be a purpose?
I got a tool kit but haven’t done anything other than remove from the ski (PITA first go at it) and mount it on a vice for visual reference as I search thru many somewhat useless vids for a DIY job on this particular model.
Is this the same supercharger used on other models from a certain year block? Some vids seem to show differences such as the red ones?
I spoke to the dealer for maintenance history and know they recommended a rebuild but was turned down, but don’t know if they did via another avenue or DIY.
One last thought for this posting, how do I check the current slippage as it sits on the vice?
I’m in no hurry being patient and pretty much have all winter to accomplish, but very curious on ramping up doing this myself (parts aside). All insights are welcome and no need to push sending and all that, I’m looking some experienced DIY feedback, I will determine that down the road. In the meantime I’m getting educated. And yes, I am a very experienced “go down swinging” mechanically inclined dude.

P.S. Is there a good how-to video link for this particular S-charger. My searches thus far have been fruitless.

Back