Ceramic, or not ceramic...or does it really matter

Kenlake

Hey, folks. Purchased my first Sea Doo last week - 2005 GTX SC (185) with 215 hrs on the clock. Same owner since 2007 - looked great and ran great (no water test). I assumed with my purchase that it would need supercharger attention. I was right - bearing failure, ruined housing and impeller, washers survived intact (they had already been changed out to Riva). So also assuming no further investigation for bits and pieces in the oil pumps. I found and purchased a take-off supercharger (100 hr service) that also looked great (see pictures). My question - do those look like ceramic washers to anyone? My plan was to run this supercharger for the balance of this summer and do the rebuild over the winter. I know...living life on the edge. But it really does look strong. No slip test yet - tools on the way. Thoughts?

IMG_9338.jpg

Yes, they look ceramic but hard to tell from pics. Take it apart and hit them hammer. Why not just rebuild since the history is completely unknown?
It matters if you care about ruining your engine.

Hey, thanks! Did not know of the “hammer test” for ceramic washers. Will try that tonight and report back. Question: can you reuse the washers after testing them with a hammer? Should be fine if they don’t shatter…right?

Your post is a little convoluted, but if you just recently had a supercharger bearing failure and it destroyed the housing you have aluminum dust in your engine which needs to be cleaned before its run again. You might already have cylinder and piston scoring.

Back