BRP Spyder...........thoughts

kicker

My wife and I are contemplating buying a couple of these this winter. I am more of a bike guy (cruiser, not crotch rocket) , but thought that I might give these a shot. She wont ride a full out street bike but she would drive one of these. No more double riding :thumbsup:

Anyways has anyone driven the Spyder or know of someone that has? I have not driven one nor do I know anyone that has, Just curious how people like them and if the fun factor is the same as driving a motorcycle.

Also they come with the 1000 cc 2 cylinder 4 stroke rotax, I'm wondering it is from one of the powerplants in a seadoo and how reliable they are.
Any comments are welcome

My wife and I are contemplating buying a couple of these this winter. I am more of a bike guy (cruiser, not crotch rocket) , but thought that I might give these a shot. She wont ride a full out street bike but she would drive one of these. No more double riding :thumbsup:

Anyways has anyone driven the Spyder or know of someone that has? I have not driven one nor do I know anyone that has, Just curious how people like them and if the fun factor is the same as driving a motorcycle.

Also they come with the 1000 cc 2 cylinder 4 stroke rotax, I'm wondering it is from one of the powerplants in a seadoo and how reliable they are.
Any comments are welcome

The mrs wanted one...bad. They ain't cheep though....almost $20K. Maybe they get 35mpg.

She ended up finding a used Suzuki Bergman 650...hydrostatic drive...could still reach the ground on tip toes...heh...she spent $5K on that instead...loves it...gets almost 45mpg on it.

Oh...her scooter will do almost 130mph...so...no prob runnin down the highway.

Got very limited seat time on one (like 3-4miles) when they came out a few years ago. Basically, it is not very comfortable to ride, handles quite awkwardly compared to a bike, performace is (braking acceleration and handling) are quite poor compared to a bike but I think they are better than a trike. Outrageously expensive. That said, they are cool but not for me. The power plant is a V twin and has nothing in common with the seadoo Rotax engines.

The mrs wanted one...bad. They ain't cheep though....almost $20K. Maybe they get 35mpg.

She ended up finding a used Suzuki Bergman 650...hydrostatic drive...could still reach the ground on tip toes...heh...she spent $5K on that instead...loves it...gets almost 45mpg on it.

Oh...her scooter will do almost 130mph...so...no prob runnin down the highway.

ya they are definitely pricey, especially for a toy. The Mrs will drive any rec vehicle I throw at her except a motorcycle, so i'm kinda stuck on this Spyder thing.

Got very limited seat time on one (like 3-4miles) when they came out a few years ago. Basically, it is not very comfortable to ride, handles quite awkwardly compared to a bike, performace is (braking acceleration and handling) are quite poor compared to a bike but I think they are better than a trike. Outrageously expensive. That said, they are cool but not for me. The power plant is a V twin and has nothing in common with the seadoo Rotax engines.

I have read that the steering can be awkward to start cause you dont counter steer like on a bike, it is more like a snowmobile. I am surprised that the braking is sub standard, even taking in consideration the extra few hundred pounds in weight,it should be better with 3 wheels stopping it, abs and with much more rubber on the road then a bike.

They now make 3 different riding positions, I would imagine the sport model (GS,RS) would be the most uncomfortable, then they make 2 others that you sit more of an upright position, that would probably be more comfy.

I see a ton of these running around by me. From guys hot footing on them to old farts out cruising 2 up with hard cases and all that. My local dealer must sell a chit load of them.

I see a ton of these running around by me. From guys hot footing on them to old farts out cruising 2 up with hard cases and all that. My local dealer must sell a chit load of them.

I hardly ever see them out in my area. most dealers around here carry 2 or 3 of them, thats it. Selection is not that great, might have to hit PA and scoop one.

That is the exact one (color and model) I am looking for.

What is the sales tax on these Rec vehicles in PA? The dealer wont sell new ones to us Canadian folk. Which means I have to buy it and register or title it in an Americans name for a day and then bring it across. The problem with this is, if I have to pay U.S. / state tax at the dealer, I still have to pay Canadian tax when I hit the border. along with our dollar getting weak, it will cut into the savings.

If its a demo, then I should be ok.

ya they are definitely pricey, especially for a toy. The Mrs will drive any rec vehicle I throw at her except a motorcycle, so i'm kinda stuck on this Spyder thing.

I have read that the steering can be awkward to start cause you dont counter steer like on a bike, it is more like a snowmobile. I am surprised that the braking is sub standard, even taking in consideration the extra few hundred pounds in weight,it should be better with 3 wheels stopping it, abs and with much more rubber on the road then a bike.

They now make 3 different riding positions, I would imagine the sport model (GS,RS) would be the most uncomfortable, then they make 2 others that you sit more of an upright position, that would probably be more comfy.

They've had a few years to improve on them I'm sure.

That is the exact one (color and model) I am looking for.

What is the sales tax on these Rec vehicles in PA? The dealer wont sell new ones to us Canadian folk. Which means I have to buy it and register or title it in an Americans name for a day and then bring it across. The problem with this is, if I have to pay U.S. / state tax at the dealer, I still have to pay Canadian tax when I hit the border. along with our dollar getting weak, it will cut into the savings.

If its a demo, then I should be ok.

We have 6% sales tax. There is a thing on the right where they can quote you. If you honestly want to pursue it I can give you the contacts to talk to. LOL, although if you tell them you know me you will pay more and you'll get to hear how cheap I am. Years back we bought Honda ATC's from Jersey brand new and we not charged sales tax since we live in PA. When I bought our 96 XP's (In Jersey) I did not pay Jersey sales tax, I paid PA sales tax when I registered it in PA. Also Philadelphia has a higher tax rate than we do out in the burbs and if we buy a new car from a dealer in the city....I pay MY tax rate out in the burbs. I know it's completely different going to Canada but......

To be 100% honest... they are awful !!!!

I've ridden a few of the smaller/sporty'er ones... and once you get up to 60~70 mph... they are twitchy. So bad in fact... that if you aren't ready for some of it... you could throw yourself off. I think they tamed it a little for the cruiser version... but I haven't ridden a "Bagger" yet to verify.

If you get out to Thunder in the Valley... they run demo rides. The test loop is about 24 miles. I've taken one out every year, since they were released. So... I would imagine I have at least 150 mi total seat time on them.

Also, the twin Rotax is "Buzzy" at speed. (Feel it though the bars, pegs, and your butt) I would say this is fine for a typical sport bike, but it's totally unacceptable for a touring bike. It would drive me nuts on a +300 mi day.

As you guys know... I like to ride, and I'm not a brand loyal guy. Over the years... I've owned bikes from dang near every manufacture. They are a fun toy... but I wouldn't own one of these.

If you need 3 wheels... go find a GoldWing trike. The late 90's trikes can be had for under $10k, and are VERY reliable. (they can go +200k miles without any issues)

Last edited by a moderator:
We have 6% sales tax. There is a thing on the right where they can quote you. If you honestly want to pursue it I can give you the contacts to talk to. LOL, although if you tell them you know me you will pay more and you'll get to hear how cheap I am. Years back we bought Honda ATC's from Jersey brand new and we not charged sales tax since we live in PA. When I bought our 96 XP's (In Jersey) I did not pay Jersey sales tax, I paid PA sales tax when I registered it in PA. Also Philadelphia has a higher tax rate than we do out in the burbs and if we buy a new car from a dealer in the city....I pay MY tax rate out in the burbs. I know it's completely different going to Canada but......

Thanks Dan, I will PM you if i decide to go that route, I will exhaust all avenues in Ontario first, its just easier, there is a bit more paper work bringing a vehicle across the border then a seadoo. That is one confusing tax system PA has going on there. I guess once your used to the system its probably not so bad.

To be 100% honest... they are awful !!!!

I've ridden a few of the smaller/sporty'er ones... and once you get up to 60~70 mph... they are twitchy. So bad in fact... that if you aren't ready for some of it... you could throw yourself off. I think they tamed it a little for the cruiser version... but I haven't ridden a "Bagger" yet to verify.

If you get out to Thunder in the Valley... they run demo rides. The test loop is about 24 miles. I've taken one out every year, since they were released. So... I would imagine I have at least 150 mi total seat time on them.

Also, the twin Rotax is "Buzzy" at speed. (Feel it though the bars, pegs, and your butt) I would say this is fine for a typical sport bike, but it's totally unacceptable for a touring bike. It would drive me nuts on a +300 mi day.

As you guys know... I like to ride, and I'm not a brand loyal guy. Over the years... I've owned bikes from dang near every manufacture. They are a fun toy... but I wouldn't own one of these.

If you need 3 wheels... go find a GoldWing trike. The late 90's trikes can be had for under $10k, and are VERY reliable. (they can go +200k miles without any issues)

If it is as bad as you describe, then it's probably not for us. The primary reason for investigating the purchase was so we could drive them to our lake on the weekends, which is a 3 hr drive each way, so more of a touring thing. We thought it would be much more fun then the driving in the suburban every time.

Apparently in 2012 they addressed some of the vibration and handling issues with a stiffer frame along with other things. Like suggested, I will definitely have to give one a good go before purchasing.

It seems they aren't for everyone, kinda a "love it" or "hate it" thing. Thats why I used this forum for research, if I used a spyder specific forum, they would all say they are great machines.

Thanks all for the input.

If it is as bad as you describe, then it's probably not for us. The primary reason for investigating the purchase was so we could drive them to our lake on the weekends, which is a 3 hr drive each way, so more of a touring thing. We thought it would be much more fun then the driving in the suburban every time.

Yes... it would be more fun... but you would be tired after the ride. It would be the equivalent of riding a sport bike that far. (noise and vibration would beat you up some)

Apparently in 2012 they addressed some of the vibration and handling issues with a stiffer frame along with other things. Like suggested, I will definitely have to give one a good go before purchasing.

Well... I was on a 2014 model this year... and it felt the same as all the rest. But, it wasn't the "Bagger" or "Touring" version. It was the RS.

I go to Thunder in the Valley every year... and all I do is ride Demo bikes. It's a lot of fun putting 200 mi on a bunch of differ bikes in a day. I get there early, and sign up for different bikes, and times at every demo tent. Then... I ride dang near non-stop for 5~6 hr's.

It seems they aren't for everyone, kinda a "love it" or "hate it" thing. Thats why I used this forum for research, if I used a spyder specific forum, they would all say they are great machines.

Thanks all for the input.

Absolutely. You have to take even my advice with a grain of salt. I won't own one... but your wife may think it's the best thing ever made. Check BRP's website... I know it's late in the season... but there may be a demo bike or demo-day somewhere local to you. But... I would highly recommend at least a test drive before putting your $$$ down on one.

My wife and I got a chance to ride the prototype Spyders that came through certain areas before they shipped to the dealers. These prototypes didn't have full working ABS or traction control at the time, but we were told that has been ironed out.

For a bike rider, you may be disappointed, as it feels like a sled. I found myself wanting to point it at the ditch. For those not comfortable on a bike, this may be the ticket.

BRP is releasing their new model yet this fall. I think it's called the F3. That will be a sporty model as well.

Can-Am-Spyder-F3-web.jpg
Be sure to test drive. I would never suggest someone buy one without doing that as it is that strange. I won't own one, as I love my Buell too much. That and I have sleds for the winter, so I can get that urge out of my system.

Good luck!

.................. I would never suggest someone buy one without doing that as it is that strange. I won't own one, as I love my Buell too much. .........................Good luck!

We are more alike than I thought. The Buell has been one of my all time favorite bikes. (2006 XB12Ss)

I bought it a few days before Xmas in 2005. It was a bit chilly on the ride home..... (LOL)

287.jpg

Then... after the snow melted, next to my 2005 Vic

288.jpg

And my hooligan bike.... (washing it after a winter ride to get the salt off)

37.jpg

I guess I can't forget about the backyard bikes.......

79.jpg

And... let's not forget the RZR, Islandia, and the PWC's. (I have way too many toys) But... the RZR serves duty as a toy, plow, and a yard huller. It can even yank the Islandia around where I can't get my truck turned.

289.jpg

As a final FYI... I'm thinking about getting rid of the Vic. I don't ride it that much. AND... my thoughts are turning to a gold wing. The dealer semi-local to me has a bunch of used ones for under $13k. I know it's an old man's bike... but I've never had anything like that before.

As a final FYI... I'm thinking about getting rid of the Vic. I don't ride it that much. AND... my thoughts are turning to a gold wing. The dealer semi-local to me has a bunch of used ones for under $13k. I know it's an old man's bike... but I've never had anything like that before.

I was in a similar situation a few years back. I had a 2004 XB12s with the factory race kit. Nice and loud like a Harley. All my buddies drove Chrome Couches, and I wanted something different. I fit the marketing to a "T"

DSC00751.JPG

Sooner or later, I got the itch for a cruiser, or something I could put more miles on. And bags would have been nice for storage and carrying my computer when commuting. So I sold the 12s in the Harley Dealership parking lot, and purchased a 2008 XB12xt. Same fun as my 12s, but with a better riding position, and storage. It's a 2-up, super slab machine!

This one was taken running forest roads around Itasca State Park. (headwaters of the Mississippi)

HPIM0864.jpg

I've thought about the Ulysses a bunch of times. AND... on some levels... I wish I would have bought one when they were starting to dump them.

BUT... have you seen the new "Buell" bikes?? Over the last few years EBR was putting out a bike, but it was track only, and $30k. WELL... he finally got a DOT version out, and it's around $16k. Still not cheap... but nice. There's a dealer about 30 min away from me with them on the floor. I want to go over and take a look... but it's a totally different beast now. It's a twin Rotax, and more refined over the last Buell 1125.

Yup, I have been following EBR very closely. I saw the first 1190rs at Strugis a few years back, but never rode it as it was a true track bike.

The 1190RX was released a while ago, with the 1190SX released this summer. Sort of an EBR version of our 12s bikes. The rotax used is similar to the 1125 rotax engines. But they are pulling huge HP numbers!

Everyone on Badweb is waiting for the 1190AX, which should be a Ulysses replacement. An engineer at EBR was quoted just a month ago, that the 1190AX will not be a dual sport version of the RX/SX platform. I'm sort of bummed, but not really. I don't need a 160mph Dual Sport. I want a torquey and reliable commuter bike that I can get up and haul ass on the highway when I want. So far, nothing can compare to my Uly xt. (but that's only because I refuse to go test drive bikes)

The Yamaha Super Tenere, Triumph Explorer, BMW 1200GS, Ducati MultiStrada have all got my attention. But the big chrome couches still interest me as well. I just don't want to fall into the pack of lemmings around here with garage furniture that never ride them.

I knock on wood as my bike runs very well with 24,000 miles on it, all mine since it rolled off the showroom. It's just too damn much fun to ride, and work on. I worry for the day anything serious happens. The service manual can only help so much. Heck, I finally pulled my own wheels off recently for new rubber. That simple task is one of those "why I have I never done this myself before" moments.

It's cooling off now, so I have not ridden as much. But I usually ride every day to work in the summer.

I found a cool photo, this is from August of 2007. We had VIP passes to test ride the prototype Spyders of the BRP truck. They had a photo booth setup before our test ride, so we could take home a photo on the Spyder.

Note the slacks and loafers. As soon as I heard we had passes, I busted my butt to get over there an not miss our appointment.

08684.jpg

Back