Boat sale gone crazy....

docster

Long story short, sold my Seadoo Sportster to a buyer who really loved it. I sold it letting them know the starboard carb would need rebuild at some point soon, but boat hasn't been on the water in a year. I demonstrated good compression in both engines and started each in the driveway just fine. They were happy. Paid for it and left. 4 days later while I am on vacation I get a voicemail that they can't keep that engine going for more than 10 min and want their money back. To take things further, she dropped the boat off in my driveway while we were out of town... She has the title, already in her name. I hid nothing about the boat and was extremely honest about what I needed.

I sold the boat with a bill of sale sold as is. She signed it, we both have copies. I was going to just haul the boat to her house and leave it, but would like to avoid a potential bad confrontation if possible.

Obviously she isn't getting her money back. It's her boat now. What would you do in this situation?

wow, interesting that its back in your driveway.... i'm assuming that they did that in a fit of rage w/o thinking about their actions

too soon to relist on CL "as is, no title?" lol

not sure what i'd suggest to be honest, but since the BOS has "as is" on it, I think you are in the clear unless this is a determined individual that just wants to make your life miserable. Not sure what they could do .. (small claims?)

not to derail your thread, but my bowling partner is dealing with a similar problem. I was on the phone hearing the story for 20 minutes this morning.

Sold his deck boat 'as is' to a guy 2 months ago who sent him a certified letter yesterday, the letter states that he (the seller) gave a 30 day warranty, and the engine blew up 2 weeks after purchase, sent an invoice for $5100 for repairs.

Fortunately my bud's daughter was in town visiting and she's a harvard educated lawyer, she already typed up the reply which was pretty firm with the bieber response, "you should go and love yourself".

The BOS indicated "as is" and my buddy was clear that he wouldn't even have given ME a 30 day guarantee and we're very close, (like he has keys to my house close), let alone some stranger.

I had this happen to me... Guy bought boat... Blew it up... Said I lied.. (I didn't). Had all the docs that you have BOS.. "As is" ... Welp... We went to court and I won because I had copies of everything we signed and it said "as is" on the bill of sale. Title was already in his name too. I would call the people back and tell them to come and pick it up or it will be towed. Explain to them nicely that they bought it and it was as "as is" sale and if they would please stop harassing me.

What part of: AS IS / Do you not understand this? / You told them it needs some repair / rebuild to carb. You want perfect? Pay for perfect. Turn key is not cheap.

Back