Bit of info on oils

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

crisso

I put a post in general disc about types of oils that can be used in our 2 stroke skis.I found an oil from Penrite.It all looks good on paper and Dr Honda has come back to say that it seems the oil is ok.It's readily available and is a lot cheaper than Seadoo oil.All the specs are correct and I just wanted to relay this to other Oz users.It's on the penrite website.
www.penrite.com.au
Go to products,small engines and then to
HI-PER 2 STROKE
Hope this helps anyone
Crisso

Cheers

Cheers mate for the info. I'm in Canberra and the nearest dealer is Batemans Bay or Sydney so I might be able to get this stuff near by.

Have you used this oil in your ski yet?

oils ain't oils sol

Hi Franky
Canberra.Struth.How cold are you mate.After Dr.Honda gave me the all clear,we have been using the oil.No problems.Its a lot cheaper and penrite has a very good rep.I only fluked finding it through some guys that raced motorbikes and they said they used it in their skis.It made me look and thats what I dug up.MMMMMMMMMM water is 22 up here at the momentHaHa Sorry mate.Just stirring.Oil wise,Repco,Autocheap etc.Go on the Penrite site and all retailers are listed.Hope this helps you.Have a great snow season

Great snow season

Yeah its bloody cold down here. I scrape the Ice off my wind screen every morning.

This is my first winter in 4 years! I was in Townsville before Canberra.

Do miss the weather of far north queensland thats for sure.

But since I have a Boat it keeps getting wet to a minimum. Its just the wind chill that you have to worry about :D

Cheers for your help mate,

Ill make sure I have a good snow season :cheers:

Mate.I rowed in a regatta on Lake B G.It is really cold down there.On the gold Coast here the water is 18 -20 .The water is warmer than the air in the last few days.Our low was a freezing 19.:)You know the story.
This oil has all the specs,the correct ash volumes etc.Yep. Done about 5 hours in a GTX LTD.All is good.It is so much cheaper.About 40% cheaper.
Look at the Penrite site and you will find there retailers
We used to go to Charlettes Pass.Loved it.Mate.Have a good ski season and we will have a good seadoo season.
(i want a run on a snow mobile)
All the best Crisso

Snow season finally over!

G'day crisso, how's the weather been up there? I survived the winter down here (just:eek:) and it's now starting to warm up abit which is good.
Have you been getting out and about on your ski lately?

reply Franky

Mate
How goes it!
Good to hear you are thawing out.It hasn't been to bad up here.Been out on the ski most of the year except for the last coupla weeks with all the rain.Things are nice here at the moment.Weather is pretty good.We,ve got the V8 Supercars here this weekend so there is people everywhere.The weather has brought out all the natural wildlife.It's very easy on the eye.Breasticles everywhere.The new v8 course should be pretty good especially with the wildcar drivers thrown in.Good to here from you.
If you are watching the car race.I'll wave.:lols:
Chris

Mate I'm awesome. I've got some good news recently, I'm moving to enoggera at the end of the year. Back to the sunshine all year round ( or most of it :D)

The "sights" sound awesome up there. The bloke in the other Aussies thread posted a pic up of his adventure. They were some good sights aswell.

Reply.

Yeh.I saw that photo of him at Tangalooma.Bastard(me jealous)
Ennog.Are you in the armed forces?
I was in Surfers Paradise today again.My god.At 7.30 in the morning they are in bikinis.(terrible):lols:
Saw the EDGE car on a tow truck this arvo.Isn't that Murphy's car?With all the work vehicles at the race,this one was on the way to the yatala workshop.(morris m/sport)Did it have a blowup?I didn't hear anything
Hey.Have a good weekend

I put a post in general disc about types of oils that can be used in our 2 stroke skis.I found an oil from Penrite.It all looks good on paper and Dr Honda has come back to say that it seems the oil is ok.It's readily available and is a lot cheaper than Seadoo oil.All the specs are correct and I just wanted to relay this to other Oz users.It's on the penrite website.
www.penrite.com.au
HI-PER 2 STROKE
Hope this helps anyone
Crisso

Hi Crisso,

Why don't you just get the oil at "The Store", Walmart. You know what Pa always says about Walmart, "If they don't have it you don't need it". Anyway I set it up with the Walmart Greeter, to get you some ol (oil). Just go by and see your Buddy.

Your cousin,

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Cousin Lou.What a top bloke you are to do all that for me.Hey!.What Pa says is right.But we dont have a Walmarty thingy here.Anyway.I havn't seen my buddy in ages.I can't remember what he looks like.Have you got a photo of him please?

Hey Scottozy.Mate.Truth up,I've never looked into the oils for the blower skiis.Only because I havn't needed to.Me being 2stroke.I've only ever been into big block blown motors.Totally different horse.I can if you want me too.Hows the ski after the s/bar mishap.All good I hope.

www.penrite.com.au
HI-PER 2 STROKE
Hope this helps anyone
Crisso

Hi Crisso,

Could you give me any feedback on the Penrite oil?

The PO was using Shell VSX 2 but i cant find it anymore. I have seen on the back of the bottle mention for use in Seadoo 2 stroke engines and just wanted to see if it fowled any plugs etc on your Ski and how long you have been using it.

The local Seadoo dealer wants $139 for 4 liters, if Penrite is the exact same specs I could get the same for less than $50.

I have been using the oil since I did a total rebuild.(with the help of the guys on this forum)The motor is a grey 951 reed valve motor.VERY slightly modified but using all original parts.All I did was to cc the heads.Balance the piston/rings/rod weights to the milligram.Clean up the porting.The motor was run in on the oil and is still running on the oil.My son gives it a hiding.I have had no trouble.It burns clean.Plugs are all good.So yes.I am very happy with the oil.Look in off-topics. Photos from Qld Australia.There is about 6 or so photos of the ski.Hope this helps mate.Supercheap now has it.

Hi Crisso,
The local Seadoo dealer wants $139 for 4 liters, if Penrite is the exact same specs I could get the same for less than $50.

WOW..$139 for just over a gallon of Seadoo oil. Shipping must be outrageous. It's about $50 in Michigan.

No.!It's called a monopoly market.We really do not have the wide range of choices over here that you guys have.Word gets out that THAT oil blew up a motor and the dealers jump on it.The oil I put up is actually getting used in a race ski.I have seen the skis results.I still use it.The seadoo/jetski guys,just rely on what the dealer says.Not what a site like this can offer.

Criss,

I think you had better come back to the states, no Wallyworld (Walmart) in Oz, unthinkable. Must be some kind of third world country.

Lou

Everything in Aus is overpriced when it comes to parts and oil, they wanted $375 for a drive shaft here but $120 in the US. I actually got all my parts from the US at less than the cost of a driveshaft in AUS.

The dealer did say that the seadoo oil was designed for the 787 motor because of the reed valves, you would assume Penrite would not insure their product if it did not exceed specs, i also found the below about the oil used in Rotax engines. http://qua.org.au/news/2010 newsletters/QUA May 10.pdf.

"Oils aren’t oils, Sol….or are they?
From: Arthur Marcel [mailto:a.marcel@qut.edu.au] Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:18 PM To: penrite@penriteoil.com Subject: Hi-Per 2 Stroke Oil
Dear Penrite technical person,
I would like to know the exact reason you recommend against using Hi-Per 2 stroke oil in Rotax engines. Is it to do with the rotary valves on some Rotaxes or is it simply a legal disclaimer?
Arthur Marcel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Arthur,
Thank you for your enquiry. Penrite Oil does not make any recommendations for aviation purposes, as our insurance does not cover this application. If you wish to use a two stroke oil in a Rotax engine which is in an aircraft, we recommend that you go to one of the other oil companies (such as Shell) who do have aviation products. I trust this answers your query.
Regards,
Alan Jeffery, Technical Department, Penrite Oil Company
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many thanks, Alan, for your prompt reply. I take it that you are saying that Penrite recommends against the use of Hi-Per in aircraft due to its insurance arrangements.
Can I ask you just one other question, please? Does Penrite recommend against the use of Hi-Per in land-based Rotax engines such as those used in snowmobiles and water craft?
Arthur Marcel
Dear Arthur,
Thank you for your email. For Rotax engines in land-based or water craft (e.g. Seadoo jet skis), we recommend the use of Hi-Per Two Stroke Oil or our SIN Two Stroke Oil. Under no circumstances are the Hi-Per Two Stroke Oil, the SIN Two Stroke Oil or any Penrite Oil products to be used in aviation applications.
Regards, Alan Jeffery, Technical Department, Penrite Oil Company
Editor: I just bought 20 litres of Penrite Hi-Per. I intend to use it in my Rotax 503 Sapphire. The tin cost me $148.26. That’s 7.40 per litre. I got it from Almagamated Pest Control. That’s John McCarron’s business. Graham O’Connor is the production manager there. He’s a good guy to deal with – knows all about ultralights. Bob Burns from the Flying Tigers gave me Graham’s name. Bob has been using Hi-Per in his Rotax 582 Lightwing since new and the motor now has 560 hours on it. It has never been pulled down. He recently tested the bearings with a through-the-plug hole bearing tester and they are fine. With the exhaust off, he can still see the cylinder honing marks.
The argument for hybrid oils is that they combine the high lubricity and wear protection of synthetics with the corrosion protection of mineral oils. I investigated both Penrite Hi-Per and Valvoline Racing. Even though the Valvoline has a higher wear protection rating (ISO-EGD compared to ISO-EGC), the Valvoline company recommends against using their oil in any Rotax motor, airborne or land-based, because of the rotary and RAVE (exhaust) valves used in some motors. However, as you can see from the emails above, Penrite recommends their oil for use in any land-based Rotax. So, add this advice to Bob’s first-hand account, and Hi-Per looks like a pretty good choice. However, it’s up to you. Read those emails carefully before deciding to change oils. Some people advise against ever changing oils.

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Crisso,

Any issues that you know of using this oil in my GTX DI? I'm sick of paying through the nose for the seadoo oil also.

I notice the web site says it is semi synthetic, everyhting I have read seems to point towrd using fully synthetic?

Back