Bilge pumps are the best

I bought a bilge pump from Amazon and installed it on my GTI. I read that it was a good idea so that's why I did the install on my old ski, being a beginner this year. I went to ride Saturday and as I was going to put the plugs in, I got distracted by someone and forgot that i didn't put them in. As I'm getting ready to go after launching, I see the thing shooting out a ton of water. I go take a look and discover that I forgot to put in the plugs all the way. I have my pump set on automatic so it started working on its own (i just finished wiring it to auto the day before). It left me wonderering, why in the world would pwc MFGs not have these things come out the factory with one. How many sank ski's would of been saved if one was installed from the mfg. It makes me feel like it a money thing where they don't mind you sinking because of your error and you can buy a new ski or use their service department.

Because you can’t predict everything an owner will do.
There’s nothing to wear out on the siphon system and don’t rely on the battery.
The 1998+ XP’s did come with them from the factory because they take on a lot of water.
Glad it saved your day.

Because you can’t predict everything an owner will do.
There’s nothing to wear out on the siphon system and don’t rely on the battery.
The 1998+ XP’s did come with them from the factory because they take on a lot of water.
Glad it saved your day.
👍 Cool, thanks for the knowledge. For a person not in the pwc world for that long, it just seems like something all pwc's should have.

Most of the new machines don't have drain plugs I've heard, they simply have check valves instead, kills 2 birds with 1 stone

Most of the new machines don't have drain plugs I've heard, they simply have check valves instead, kills 2 birds with 1 stone
I see them on sale. I'm thinking of getting one for my newer GTI. My only issue is they protrude out from the hull. IDK if i like that.

Until a piece of debris holds the check-valve open or closed...
My 2003 GTI, the drain plug actually has an integrated ball float that will close off if you forget the plug. It should be able to be installed on the older hulls.

That's funny you said that. looking at the construction, it looked so simple. It looks like it's just a ball in the protruded side that gets pushed in by the water, thus sealing it when standing and the ball release during motion allowing water to exit. I haven't read any horror story's but that debris getting stuck there was a concern I had with such a simple mechanism

They are fine but they should not be your primary seal as they can and do get stuck then you sink.

Back