best sea doo boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwrobel

looking to buy 7-8 passenger boat 2004-2009. just wanted to know which is one to buy? and which has the least amount of problems?

Least amount of problems is a single engine non supercharged boat. That said, it depends how you look after them.
Best boat: depends on your lifestyle. Speed- go for a speedster 150 155hp. But it only has 4 seats. The challenger 180 is slightly slower but it has 8 seats. Downside is its supercharged. Everything has a compromise. You could get a twin engine non charged speedster 200. But you will have twice the maintenance.

All good boats.

god luck.

nice boat. That would be the least expensive of the twins to maintain. The 200 is mainly for calm waters. If your area is choppy maybe test it out in the swell first.
cheers

If you're not biased against the Mercury engine, I'd look for a Challenger 2000. They made them until 2005, and the Challenger X version (same hull/engine but with a factory installed waketower) until 2006. Seats eight comfortably, tons of acceleration and power, relatively easy on fuel, and in my opinion the best hull Seadoo ever made. The Mercury engine is quieter than the Rotax engines too, which is nice for when friends join you.

An absolutely great, all-around family boat. Highly recommended.

thank you for your imputs. I think I will go with the speedster 200. 310hp
what do you guys think?
Avoiding the Superchargers seems like the smartest thing to do, and the 200 Speedster does that with a quick boat via the twin 155hp engines. Since they are relatively new, the repairs should be minimal too, that's why it got my vote!

Yamaha

I would seriously consider a Yamaha SX210 if you want a high quality jet boat and dont need 430 HP. The Speedster 200 is an OK boat but has no windshield, and is much lower quality. The Yamaha is only 220 HP but has 4 cylinder engines and accelerates quite adequately. In addition it has hatches through which you can remove objects that jam the impellers. With a Sea Doo, if the impeller sucks in a stick, you might have to trailer it. Done that many times.

Ive owned both brands, I like the high horsepower Sea Doos, but the lower horsepower models seem to be much less actual HP than rated, and nowhere near the quality of the Yamahas.

Yamaha comes with a bimini top, carpets, walk-thru transom, step-in engine bays, and very large storage compartments. No options, all standard. But there are really no engine choices unless you move to a different model line.

You need to look at either the Utopia 205 or the Yamaha 212. 7 to 8 people will get tight with the Challenger 180 unless there are some children in that count. Non-supercharged engines is a good call. But the cost of maintaining two engines isn't that great. I find it humorous when people contemplate on another forum on gas usage on boats. This isn't a cheap hobby. Go check them out!:driving:

what do you guys think of a 2005 sugar sand 1800 mirage with the 240hp 2stroke motor?

Well, it's not a Seadoo and you're on a Seadoo forum {grin}.

Cons: Sugar Sand is out of business. Anything unique to them will be very hard to find (think windshields, dashboards, etc.).

Pros: Sugar Sand made GREAT boats. Very strong, hand-laid glass mat hulls. Their owners love them. Most of the hardware, like on most other brands, are standard off-the-shelf items from large marine hardware manufacturers (think Attwood, for just one example).

Mercury 240EFI engine is a great powerplant. There are mixed opinions here, do a search and read for yourself. I have both that engine and Rotax engines and think both are fine.

What sort of price are they asking?

so I finally bought a 2004 sea doo challenger x. any comments or helpful hints would be greately appreciated.

so I finally bought a 2004 sea doo challenger x. any comments or helpful hints would be greately appreciated.

Congrats! You should love it!

What was the final sales price? Your comment above showed they were starting high. Were you able to talk them down using the NADA printout?

Post pictures! (Include the engine compartment so we can see how well they cared for things.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back