Beginner stereo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgtb23

Looking to do my first upgrade to the stereo on my 2008 sportster. Im not very techinically inclined like a lot of you. Wanted to change the speakers first. My boat has been in storage at the mechanic all winter and I cant find the size for the speakers anywhere online. Are they 6 in or 6.5 in? I plan on changing the head unit eventually but was going to start with the speakers since thats more my speed. Any help would be much appreciated

I am not 100% ure but hat to see nobody answer you. Most of the Sea Doo boats use 6.5 speakers but for some reason I thought I saw recently someone said their Sportster had 6 inch speakers. I tried to search and couldnt find it anywhere. Should be easy to figure out if you have access to the boat. Are you just mounting new speakers in the existing enclosures that are built into the boat?

Looking to replace the ones without having to do any mods. I think they are 6.5 as well but dont have access to the boat right now and cant find a definent answer anywhere. Also looking for info about wattage, if the jensen head unit can push better speakers of if they require an amp.

The Jensen will push speakers without an amp. Of course decent aftermarket speakers can handle and amp and they would sound better with one but it will still be a huge improvement of the stock speakers.

I think just about anything would be an improvement from the junk stock speakers it came with. I found on the jensen website that the unit runs 40 watts x 4 but know they usually run a lot lower than that rms. Just dont want to get some nice speakers and have them underpowered and sound like crap but then again dont really want to add an amp and have to worry about adding a secong battery

I would start with the new speakers and then when you have the money upgrade to a better head unit.

Contact Ducatifast on the forum, he just upgraded his stereo system in the same boat as yours. He also posted some pictures and the make of head unit and speakers he installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back