Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

qstorm

What is the best battery to get for 97 xp seadoo. I don't care about the cost, cause for some reason no matter how new or charged these regular battery are, after a few cranks they go dead.
Work was done to the engine and it has a high compression.

Standard battery!

Hello and welcome to the forum. A standard battery should do you fine. I know if you get one from "Advanced Auto Parts", it has a one year free replacement.
If your battery is going dead after a few cranks, you need to test your charging system. Very easy test.
If the engine is newly rebuilt, I'd check to see that your magneto plug is in tight. They do make high torque starters but I don't see a reason for you to need that, unless your rebuild took you into "mod"..........
Get a multi meter and test your battery and charging system.......
Welcome to the forum, heres one on me..............:cheers:

Thanks for having me and thanks for the advise. The ones I have is from advance auto. The reason I want to upgrade is associated with the other post I have regarding the choke.
For some reason my ski would shut off once in a while and when trying to restart, I would have to use the choke. If after a few tries it doesn't go the battery is dead.

Hello and welcome to the forum. A standard battery should do you fine. I know if you get one from "Advanced Auto Parts", it has a one year free replacement.
If your battery is going dead after a few cranks, you need to test your charging system. Very easy test.
If the engine is newly rebuilt, I'd check to see that your magneto plug is in tight. They do make high torque starters but I don't see a reason for you to need that, unless your rebuild took you into "mod"..........
Get a multi meter and test your battery and charging system.......
Welcome to the forum, heres one on me..............:cheers:

What do you recommend, DryCell vs Gel Cell?

Choke.....

If you have to choke your engine to get it started, after it's already been running, then you may have a fuel line problem. A hose that isn't tight, allowing the fuel to back up into the tank. Your return line may be plugged.

The battery issue, KustomKarl is a battery distributor and probably the most qualified to answer that question. Send him a PM, if you don't hear from him in this thread, he'll offer you the advice, I'm sure.:cheers:

New School Rules!

What do you recommend, DryCell vs Gel Cell?

You don't want either of the 2 batteries described in your quote. I recommend a AGM (Advanced Glass Matt) Battery. It is better than a Gel Cell and it won't crack and cause problems when it get hot, like the Gel Cell. The AGM is the newest thing on the market that replaces the Gel Cell, and is an exact replacement for your XP. The model # is YTX20H-BI, made by Interstate batteries. This battery has a 310amp Cold Cranking power, that is the highest available. It won't let you down, when you need starting power. This battery retails for $87.95.

Karl

Matt cell

Not a bad price, considering that I paid VERY close to that for the battery I recently bought from Wal-Mart for my ski. It was in the high 70s, if I remember correctly.

Problem solved. I actually did pick up AGM battery yesterday for about $79, (didn't even charge it). Slap that bad boy in, change the plugs and wholla, that baby fired up instantly.
Thanks all.

You might still want to pull the battery out and give it a good 4-6 hr charge just so in case you need the extra charge it will be at a full charge. If you run the doo for a good 3-4 hrs than it will be at full charge. That price I quoted is the regular retail or MSRP price. I don't sell them at retail ever, but it is the highest it should sell for.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Let us know if we can be of any more help.

Karl

I guess you sell parts. If you do can you please point me to your website. I am looking for the front bumper and a splash guard.

Do you recommend the foot step for my year 97 xp. I was told the hull might not be strong enough. I don't want to install it for me but for my family who has a hard time getting on when they fall

I don't sell seadoo parts, I own a Mobility Equipment Company, and I'm a Florida Car Dealer. I sell Interstate Batteries in my store. Yes, you can put a rear step on the rear of the xp, If you check on vender's on the main page of the seadoo forum you will see a couple vender's that can help you out.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back