Basic Replacement for Clarion M255 head unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huttcraft

My '05 Sportster came stock with a Clarion M255 head unit. It works fine but like most people I don't need a CD player; a USB or SD Card slot would be far more convenient for me. I'm looking at barebones head units with no more than a tuner and SD/USB input, but I'm concerned about matching the existing wiring harness on the back. I don't want to reinvent the wheel -- ideally I'd like something that was virtually plug-and-play.

Any recommendations from the audiophiles? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Doesn't exist. (sorry)

You will find, that everyone will put a CD player in the head unit these days. Also, even if you buy a radio from the same manufactuer... the pin-out, or the plug style will change. Normally, you will be cutting off an old plug, and soldering on a new one.

Swapping the head unit is no big deal. Just add the new harness and plug in the new stereo unit.

Karl

I think you will have a hard time finding a entry level cheaper marine radio that will do either USB or SD. The Clarion M309 is an awesome radio with USB and ipod controls. You can find it for around 170 refurbished. I dont think you can beat the features for that price. And it should be an easy swap.

Because I like to research and I am bored outta my mind at work....I did find 1 option for you if you are lookin for something cheap and basic.

Pyle makes a marine head unit that has SD slot and USB. You can find it for like 70 bones on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002J9GHHU/ref=dp_olp_new_map?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Pyle PLMRKT13BK

I found it on ebay for 65 with free shipping. Looks like it comes as a kit with a wireless remote and 2 marine speakers.

What RF said. Definitely worth the USB port, and an Ipod controller allows you to just dial in tunes on the head unit and leave the Ipod/Nano in the glove box.

If you can stay with that recommended Clarion above, it's plug and play as others noted.

If not, and you need to cut the plug and rewire a new harness/plug, it's really not hard. Just label each wire coming into the dash using your old unit as a guide, then rewiring is clean and easy. Battery powered soder guns work fine and are easy in tight spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back