Bad vibrations on my RXP-255

A_Bred

Hello folks,

So every now and than I come across something I can't get there on figuring out.

I have an RXP-255 that has had some issues. I had a blown motor in it, replaced that with another motor which was actully a bad new motor, swapped yet another motor in and it was running fine, but only got up to about 55. I had finally figured out that the stator had now gone bad (battery never seemed charged. Boom, had lots of power and seemed like it was finally running great, got back up to 72 MPH.

Now this was my third test run to see how things are going. Got up and going about 70, took a second break to just sit and idle, went to accelerate and got a bad vibration from the rear. That i had sucked something up in the grate, did a reverse hard for a minute, went forward with same result. Limped back to the dock. Put it up on my lift nothing in the grate. Took it out of the water, tore the pump off and wearing was torn up. Thought there you go, that's the issue. - put a new wear ring in and off we go. SO I THOUGHT!

Back on the water, again around 70, only now at top speed I can almost hear or feel that same vibration. Long story short after a few short runs (just about 3rd time). Same vibration, hit the throttle, you can see the RPMs starting to go up, a lot of vibration and going no where. So I idle back to the dock, every now and than hit the throttle starts going around 10 MPH or so, vibration comes right back. Get home, tear the pump off and apart, wear ring is still good. Prop is good, nothing stuck in pump. Take the cone off, put a large socket on the nut and spin the bearing, seems pretty quite (with blade on and off). - I am Stuck.

Only thoughts I have at this point are these -

To much grease in cone or not enough?
Bearing even though while spinning it on the bench and sound quite is actually bad?
Drive shaft somehow got bent?
Engine not aligned (even though I never loosened and moved around the mounts, only took the solid mounts off the motor when I swapped it out, and wholes where they go on top of the mounts don't allow for much play at all)? --- so I am stumped.

I would go with engine not aligned, causing a bent drive shaft or a bad bearing in the pump. Some people do alignments every time they pull the pump or driveshaft let alone the motor. Probably because they bought the alignment tool.

Back